Imágenes de páginas

The Chicago Fire Department brought up the rear. It is worthy of remark, that of the military who took part in the funeral honors, there was a full regiment of infantry, which was composed of men who had been in the rebel army, and, after taking the oath of allegiance, at the several prison camps, were recruited into the government service.

To attempt a detailed description of the procession would only result in failure. It was a wilderness of banners and flags, with their mottoes and inscriptions. The estimated number of persons in line was thirtyseven thousand, and there were three times as many more who witnessed the procession by crowding into the streets bordering on the line of march, making about one hundred and fifty thousand who were on the streets of Chicago that day, to add their tribute of respect to the memory of Abraham Lincoln.

The line of march was from the Lake shore, at the foot of Park Row, or Park Place, west on that street to Michigan avenue, thence north on Michigan avenue to Lake street, west on Lake to Clark street, south on Clark to the east gate of the Court House square, and inside the square to the south door of the Court House. The remains reached the Court House at a quarter before one o'clock, passing in under the inscription:

"Illinois clasps to her bosom her slain and glorified son."

Over the north door was inscribed:

"The beauty of Israel is slain upon her high places."

A gorgeous catafalque had been erected in the centre of the rotunda, directly beneath the dome. The coffin was placed on the platform or dais within the catafalque, and the entire procession passed through the rotunda in the order observed in marching through the streets. This was done before the coffin was

represented in the assembled multitude. Minute guns were fired by a section of Battery K, Second Missouri Light Artillery. A few minutes before nine o'clock, the pilot engine made its appearance. The ten minutes between its arrival and that of the funeral train, were occupied by Gen. Cook in bringing to their proper places the committee of reception, members of the several delegations, the military and the civic societies.

As soon as the funeral car came along side of the depot, the coffin was transferred to the beautiful hearse which had been tendered for the occasion by Messrs. Lynch & Arnot, of St. Louis, through mayor Thomas of that city, and accepted by mayor Dennis of Springfield. The hearse was built in Philadelphia, at a cost of about six thousand dollars, and was larger and longer than the ordinary size. It had been used at the funeral of the Hon. Thomas H. Benton. After the offer was accepted, the proprietors had it additionally ornamented with a silver plate engraving of the initials "A. L.” around which was a silver wreath, with two inverted torches and thirty-six silver stars, representing the States of the Union. It was drawn by six superb black horses, draped in mourning, and wearing plumes on their crests. The horses belonged to Messrs. Lynch & Arnot also, and were driven on this occasion by Mr. A. Arnot, without the aid of grooms.

The procession moved in the following order:

Brig. Gen. John Cook and staff.

The 146th regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Col. H. H. Deane; one company of the 46th regiment of Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, Capt. Chase, and Company E. Veteran

Reserve Corps, under Lieut. Cornelius.

The above organizations were acting as a military funeral escort. Band.

Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker and staff.

[blocks in formation]

Composed of the same general officers who were appointed by the Secretary of War to accompany the remains to Springfield. Also, the Commissary of Subsistence, Embalmer and Undertaker.

Relatives and family friends.

Among the latter were the Rev. Dr. P. D. Gurley, Pastor of the deceased, and Judge David Davis of the U. S. Supreme Court.

Illinois Delegation, named in another place.

Congressional Committee, or Delegation, named in another place. Gentlemen from Washington, D. C. Hon. Richard Wallach, Mayor, and Col. Ward H. Lamon, U. S. Marshal for the District of Columbia.

[It is worthy of remark here, that three of the men who left Springfield with Mr. Lincoln, February 11, 1861, returned with his remains, viz.: Major General David Hunter, Judge David Davis and Col. Ward H. Lamon.]

Members of the Illinois State Legislature.

Governors of the different States.

Delegation from Kentucky.
Chicago Committee of one hundred.
Springfield Committee of Reception.
Judges of the several Courts.
The Reverend Clergy.

Officers of the Army and Navy then in service or honorably dis


Civic Societies.

Citizens generally.

The procession moved from the depot east on Jefferson street to Fifth, south on Fifth to Monroe, east on

Monroe to Sixth, north on Sixth to the State House Square, entering through the east gate, and by the north door of the State House to Representatives' Hall, in the west end of the building, second story, where the coffin was placed on a dais, within a magnificent catafalque prepared for the occasion.

A few minutes after ten o'clock all being in readiness, the doors were opened and the vast multitude began to file through the hall to view the remains. They entered the Capitol at the north door, ascended the stairway in the rotunda and entered Representatives' Hall at the north door, passed by the catafalque, out at the south door, then down the stairway and made their exit from the Capitol at the south side.


We will turn our attention for a time from the crowds of people, and view the preparations for this reception. For ten days a large number of men and women worked almost night and day in decorating the State House. The whole building was draped in mourning on the exterior; and the rotunda and Representatives' Hall on the interior, and the entrance to the Governor's room, the rooms of the Secretary of State, Auditor of State and Superintendent of Public Instruction. Part of the time there were one hundred and fifty persons at work. The ladies of Springfield bore their full share in these arduous labors. I have been furnished with the following figures by a prominent citizen of this city, who prepared some of the designs for decorations. I shall not attempt a description of the ornamental work, but will give a few facts by which some idea of their gorgeous beauty may be conveyed. About fifteen hundred yards of black and white goods were used in the decorations, exclusive of the catafalque. In its construction and decoration, black cloth, black velvet, black, blue and white silk and crape, with silver stars and silver lace and fringe, were used in the greatest profusion. The canopy of the catafalque was made of velvet, festooned with satin and silver fringe. It was lined on the under side with blue silk, studded with silver stars. Three hundred yards of velvet and mourning goods, and three hundred yards of silver lace and fringe, besides a vast quantity of other materials, were used in its construction. Each of the six columns was surmounted with a rich plume.

« AnteriorContinuar »