Imágenes de páginas


the 21st of July, when it marched for Tuscumbia, Ala., a distance of seventy-five miles, through a beautiful country, arriving at the latter place on the 26th. It there went into camp and remained until the 28th of August, when under command of Brigadier-General James D. Morgan, the entire brigade crossed the Tennessee river and bivouacked in the woods near Florence, Ala.

On the morning of Sept. 2d, they repacked their knapsacks, and took up their line of march for Nashville, Tenn., by way of Athens, Ala., and arrived at Nashville on the 12th of September, having marched a distance of 175 miles, averaging 27 miles per day, and suffering greatly from the scarcity of water. The last 100 miles they were constantly menaced by rebel cavalry and guerrillas; and, although fired upon at different places along the road, they met with no serious loss. They encamped in the city of Nashville, and assisted in garrisoning the city, frequently scouting through the country, having several skirmishes with the enemy, in which they always proved victorious.

On the morning of Nov. 5, 1862, the rebel Gen. Morgan, with a cavalry force of 3,800 men, made a dash on Edgefield, Tenn., but was quickly repulsed by the 16th and 60th Illinois regiments, then stationed at that place. In the early part of November, the 1st division, army of the Mississippi, to which the regiment belonged, was transferred to the army of the Cumberland, and on the 12th of that month they moved to Stone River, Tenn. On the 29th, the regiment, with the 10th Michigan, went on a three days' scout, and returned to camp with fourteen prisoners. On the 12th of December it went back to Nashville.

On the 5th of January, 1863, it was sent to Stone River, as escort to a large ammunition train for the army of the Cumberland. When eight miles from Nashville, the train was furiously attacked by a rebel force under Wheeler, consisting of two brigades of cavalry and six pieces of artillery. A lively skirmish ensued, resulting in the defeat of the enemy, who retreated in double quick, leaving several of their dead. They captured two officers and twelve privates, and lost but one man wounded.

On January 13th, the regiment was sent after a body of rebel cavalry, to prevent their burning the transports on the shoals below Nashville. It was out three days, marching a distance of sixtyfive miles, and capturing thirteen prisoners. They were transferred to the Reserve Army Corps Department of the Cumberland, and engaged in doing garrison duty in the city of Nashville until June 20, 1863.

The 60th took an active part in the battle of Chattanooga, November 25th and 26th. It was in the advance upon Chickamauga, and pursued the enemy to Ringold, continually skirmishing with them until they reached the latter place. They accompanied the grand army of General Sherman in the terrible march to Knoxville preparatory to the raising the siege of that place.

Col. William B. Anderson was born in Jefferson county, Illinois, April 2, 1730. His father, StinsonH. Anderson, served in the State Legislature, was Lieutenant-Governor under Governor Carlin, and also State Marshall during Polk's administration. He served as a private in the Blackhawk war, and was commissioned captain of dragoons by Jackson during the Florida war. His early education was unfortunately neglected. He studied law a short time with Judge Walter B. Scates, who was then a member of the Supreme bench of Illinois. He served as county surveyor for Jefferson county for four years, and soon after was elected member of the State Legislature, and served during the session of 1856-'57, and being re-elected, served again during the next session of 1858-'59. In 1860 he was appointed alternate elector on the Douglas ticket, and here ended his political life.

Upon the commencement of the present war, he entered the service of his country. He raised a company of recruits from his native county, and, with the required number, hastening to the place of rendezvous of the 60th Illinois regiment, Camp Dubois, Anna, Illinois, his company was assigned a place in this regiment, and Mr. Anderson mustered into the service as Lieutenant-Colonel on the 17th of February. He served in that capacity until March 2,1863, when he was promoted and took his place as Colonel of the regiment.


The 73d regiment Illinois volunteers was raised from the State at large, and was the first of the new organizations under the call for THE SEVENTY-THIRD. 413

300,000, in the year 1862. It was organized at Camp Butler, 111., and mustered into the United States service for three years or during the war, August 21, 1862, under the following officers, viz.:

Colonel, James F. Jaquess; Lieutenant-Colonel, Benjamin F. Northcutt; Major, William A. Presson; Adjutant, Richard R. Randall; Quartermaster, James W. Slavens; Surgeon, George 0. Pond; 1st Assistant Surgeon, Robert E. Stevenson; 2d Assistant Surgeon, Kendall E. Rich; Chaplain, John S. Barger.

Co. A—Captain, William E. Smith; '1st Lieutenant, Edward W. Bennett; 2d Lieutenant, Thomas G. Underwood.

Co. B—Captain, Wilder B. M. Colt; 1st Lieutenant, Harvey Pratt; 2d Lieutenant, Samuel W. McCormack.

Co. C—Captain, Peterson McNabb; 1st Lieutenant, Mark D. Haws; 2d Lieutenant, Richard N. Davis.

Co. D—Captain, Thomas Motherspaw; 1st Lieutenant, Jonas Jones; 2d Lieutenant, Reuben B. Winchester.

Co. E—Captain, Wilson Burroughs; 1st Lieutenant, Charles Tilton; 2d Lieutenant, David Blosser.

Co. F—Captain, George Montgomery; 1st Lieutenant, William Barrick; 2d Lieutenant, Edwin Allsop.

Co. G—Captain, John Sutton; 1st Lieutenant, James F. Bowen; 2d Lieutenant, Uriah Warrington.

Co. H—Captain, James J. Davidson; 1st Lieutenant, Samson Purcell; 2d Lieutenant, Clement S. Shinn.

Co. I—Captain, Peter Wallace; 1st Lieutenant, John L. Barger; 2d Lieutenant, James M. Turpin.

Co. K—Captain, Reuben W. Laughlin; 1st Lieutenant, James Lancaster; 2d Lieutenant, ■.

The regiment thus organized left for Louisville, Ey., on the morning of August 26th, and reached its destination at noon on the following day, and went into its first camp near the Louisville and Nashville depot, called Camp Jaquess, in honor of the Colonel.

It remained in this camp a few days, when it was removed to a hew camp—" Dick Yates"—near the Lexington turnpike, eight miles east of Louisville, and was temporarily brigaded with the 79th and 88th Indiana regiments and the 100th Illinois, Gen. Kirk in command. The 73d, however, was soon detached and sent to Cincinnati wdien that city was threatened by Bragg's army, where it reported for duty on the morning of the 13th September; was ordered to Louisville again, to meet Bragg at that point, and was brigaded with the 2d Missouri, 15th Missouri and 44th Illinois, commanded by Col. Schaefer of the 2d Missouri.

With this brigade the 73d started on the famous march in pursuit of Bragg and his retreating forces. During this campaign the troops engaged in it did severe marching, both by day and night, and many of the new soldiers were unequal to the fatigue. The 73d being composed principally of men innured to toil, stood the test as well as any of their compatriots. Early on the morning of October 12th—one of the most beautiful of Indian Summer days—the firing of musketry near Perryville, Kentucky, indicated an enemy at hand, and by noon the left was in the heat of battle. The right, under Sheridan, was placed in position to await the attack of the rebels. The 35th brigade stood awaiting the shock with the 73d Illinois, and the 15th was in front, supported by the 44th Illinois and 2d Missouri in the rear.

During the interval, while the enemy was approaching, the following disposition was made of the 73d Illinois: Every man was ordered to lie down and conceal himself as perfectly as possible. The position was a good one, on the top of a ridge overlooking an open field over which the enemy must pass. The colors were rolled up and the men ordered to lie upon the ground, to which they consented most unwillingly. The Colonel ordered them to protect themselves and obey orders and he would protect their reputation. "The enemy is approaching," continued the Colonel, "wait till I give you the order to fire. Be calm and deliberate and waste no ammunition; remember that one load in your gun is worth ten in the air. Load quick and fire slow, and be sure and bring a rebel every shot. It is said one wounded man is worth two dead ones on the battle field. I have not so learned war. War means killing; therefore let every shot be well directed—aim at the head or the heart and make sure work of it. Ready! aim! fire ! /" For one hour and thirty minutes did this band of brave young soldiers face the enemy. "The ground in front of the regiment was strewn with the dead," said a wounded officer belonging to a Mississippi regiment—left on the field and captured. "What regiment was that we met just there?" pointing to where the 73d had fought; and being told it was the 73d Illinois, said he, "Every shot you fired seemed to take a man in the head or heart.'


"During this fight we fired no less than forty rounds, and some fired as many as sixty. The men were instructed to lay their extra supply of ammunition on the ground by them, and there was no time lost in using it. The fire from the enemy was terrible, but so Well protected was the 73d that only one man was killed, and he Was struck in the head while in the act of rising up to shoot."

From Perryville to Murfreesboro, and then into the terrible conflict of Stone River passed the 73d. It was in Sheridan's division and met the shock of the foe. Already was Sheridan winning the laurels which were to brighten in the Valley of the Shenandoah* Says the correspondent from whom we have quoted above: "The brigade, of which the 73d waa part, occupied the right of Sher* idan's division, and the 73d was on the extreme right of the brigade, and at one time was attacked by overwhelming numbers on the right flank, and changing front in that direction and in a grand charge repulsed the enemy, which gave them their first check. These facts can be substantiated."

After long marches, weary days and nights of picket and guard duty, foraging and skirmishing, the 73d appears on the bloody field of Chickamauga. It was now in the 2d brigade, 3d division, 20tl army corps, Sheridan division commander, and McCook corps commander, "The brigade, composed of the same regiments as before, 2d and 15th Missouri, 44th and 73d Illinois, commanded by Colonel Leibold, of the 2d Missouri. At an early hour on the morning of the 20th of September, the brigade was in line of battle, in column of regiments, the 73d Illinois in front. The brigade was held as reserve when it became apparent that the troops on the right and left were being driven back, and that already there was a breach in the line of battle, the 2d brigade was ordered to advance and check the enemy in that direction. The charge was made, but it proved a slaughter pen. Major Smith and Adjutant Wingett were killed instantly, Lieut.-Col. Davidson was wounded, and Colonel Jaquess' horse Was struck four times, and he was the only field officer left, and almost the only officer in the regiment. The regiment went into this fight three hundred and eight strong, and numbered next day, of *\ose who had escaped death or wounding, less than one hundred.

« AnteriorContinuar »