Imágenes de páginas


Colonel, John B. Wyman; Lieutenant-Colonel, B. F. Parks; Major, Adam B. Gorgas; Adjutant, H. T. Porter; Surgeon, Samuel C. Plummer; Assistant-Surgeon, David H. Law; Chaplain, J. C. Miller; Quartermaster, W. C. Henderson.

Co. A—Captain, Henry T. Noble; 1st Lieutenant, Henry Dement; 2d Lieutenant, Benjamin Gillman.

Co. B—Captain, D. R. Bushnell; 1st Lieutenant, G. P. Browne; 2d Lieutenant, Wm. W. Kilgour.

Co. C—Captain, H. M. Messenger; 1st Lieutenant, N. Neff; 2d Lieutenant, Geo. B. Sage.

Co. D—Captain, Quincy McNeil; 1st Lieutenant, James M. Beardsley; 2d Lieutenant, A. T. Higby.

Co. E—Captain, F. W. Partridge; 1st Lieutenant, A. J. Brinkerhoff; 2d Lieutenant, G. B. Duvoll.

Co. F—Captain, Z. B. Mayo; 1st Lieutenant, E. F. Dutton; 2d Lieutenant, R. A. Smith.

Co. G-—Captain, G. M. Cole; 1st Lieutenant, W. M. Jenks; 2d Lieutenant, S. M. Jackson.

Co. H—Captain, G. H. Gardner; 1st Lieutenant, Edwin Went; 2d Lieutenant, E. A. Pritchard.

Co. I—Captain, S. W. Wadsworth; 1st Lieutenant, J. G. Everest; 2d Lieutenant I. H. Williams.

Co. K—Captain, W. Blanchard; 1st Lieutenant, M. S. Hobson; 2d Lieutenant, J. J. Cole.

It was organized at Camp Dement, Dixon, 111., May 9, 1861, and two weeks thereafter mustered into the United States service, and was first of the three years' regiments to cross the Mississippi River. During the summer of 1861, it remained at Rolla, Missouri, guarding that post, for it being a depot of supplies, was constantly threatened by the enemy. Here the regiment did excellent service in suppressing many predatory bands that invested that region within a radius of forty miles; and by their zealous protection of the Union people who had suffered from their cruel and relentless foes,inspired this persecuted class with a like attachment and devotion to the cause of their country. While here, Colonel Wyman succeeded in organizing many of the citizens into cavalry companies; and, under Gen. Curtis, these intrepid scouts proved themselves the most daring and efficient cavalry in the Southwestern Army.

In October, 1861, the regiment joined the army under General THE THIRTEENTH. 297

Fremont, then forming at Springfield, Mo., and their admirable condition and efficiency in drill being marked by the General, they were assigned the highest post of honor in that "Grand Army;" but on the arrival of Gen. Hunter the plans of Gen. Fremont were entirely changed, and this regiment returned to Holla.

March 6, 1862, it was sent to join the army of Gen. Curtis, and participated in that terrible march across the country to Helena, Ark., during which journey the most unparalleled suffering was endured from thirst, heat and short rations.

December 26, 1862, the men of this regiment being considered as veterans, were placed in the advance of General Sherman's army in the attack on Chickasaw Bayou, and during the second day's fight lost their brave Colonel, who was shot by the sharpshooters of the enemy. On the 29th, the terrible charge was made on Gen. S. D. Lee's entrenchments, and the regiment lost one hundred and seventy-seven men killed, wounded and missing. They soon thereafter participated in the attack and capture of Arkansas Post. They accompanied Gen. Steele in his Greenville expedition, capturing and destroying immense supplies of the enemy, and subsequently proceeded with Gen. Grant by way of Grand Gulf to the capture of Jackson, siege of Yicksburg, and repossession of the former city.

They accompanied General Sherman in his march from Corinth to Tuscumbia, being for one week daily engaged with the enemy. From the Tennessee to Lookout Valley their division was the rear guard of the 15th Army Corps, and frequently they were engaged with the enemy in his unsuccessful attempts to capture the train.

The 1st division of the 15th army corps, of which they were a part, was temporarily assigned to Gen. Hooker, and participated in the attack and capture of Lookout Mountain, the battles of Mission Ridge and Ringgold Gap. At Mission Ridge the 13th captured more than its own aggregate of the 18th Alabama rebel infantry, carrying the 18th's battle flag in triumph from the field. At Ringgold Gap they were the first to engage the enemy, and, refusing relief, were the last to leave the field. Here their loss was sixtyIhree killed and wounded.

General Hooker, in speaking of this engagement, says: "Their skirmishers were driven in, and as we had learned the position of the battery, the 13th Illinois regiment, from the right of Wood's line, was thrown forward to seize some houses from which their gunners could be picked off by our men. These were heroically taken and held by that brave regiment." After speaking of the repeated charges of the enemy to drive this regiment back, he continues—"the 13th Illinois all the time maintaining its position with resolution and obstinacy." The General finishes his eulogy on this division in these words, "It has never been my fortune to serve with more zealous and devoted soldiers."

The following is from Gen. Osterhaus' official report:

"Strengthening Col. Cramer by skirmishers from the 12th Missouri infantry, I sent orders to that officer to push the left of his line well forward, and at the same time ordered the 13th Illinois (which held the extreme right) to advance rapidly over an open field to a few houses in front. The 13th Illinois executed the order in magnificent style. They charged through a hail-storm of balls, and gained the position assigned to them, and held it, although the enemy poured a murderous fire into these brave men from the gorge in front, and the hill on the right."

Speaking of the desperate charges repelled by the obstinate bravery of these men, he concludes his allusion to the 13th in the following language: "The 13th Illinois remained undaunted, keeping up a vehement fire."

This regiment was assigned to the post of 1st regiment, 1st brigade, 1st division, 15th army corps; but changed to the 3d division in April as their time had nearly expired. On the 17th inst, they were completely surprised and entirely surrounded by a portion of Roddy's command at Madison Station, Alabama. The surprise was occasioned by the enemy advancing on the pickets clothed in United States uniform. After two hours' hard fighting against immense odds the regiment was compelled to abandon the station, breaking through the enemy's line. The enemy had three pieces of artillery with from 1,000 to 1,500 cavalry and infantry. The regiment at this time only numbered 350 men for duty. Sixty-six pickets and skirmishers were captured by the enemy. The enemy's loss, as reported by flag of truce, was sixty killed, wounded and missing. One out of the four prisoners taken from the enemy has died from


his wounds, leaving the killed and wounded of the enemy as high as fifty-seven.

It is due to one officer of the 13th to state a fact or two. The chaplain at the time the regiment went out of service was Rev. Arnold T. Needham. At the breaking out, of the war he enlisted as a private. He was subsequently promoted as sergeant for bravery. By his active, yet unobtrusive piety, his zeal in caring for the wounded and dying, he had so won upon the officers of the regiment that they recommended his appointment to that office, although he was not even a licentiate. Leave of absence was granted; he returned to his home in Chicago, was licensed and ordained, and received his commission. Chaplain Needham is a devoted Christian minister, and at the expiration of the time of enlistment, he entered the Rock River Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was appointed to a pastoral charge, where he gives full proof of his ministry. This regiment entered the service with 1,010 men, since which time it has received fifty-five recruits. The aggregate when mustered out was five hundred, leaving their loss at five hundred and sixty.

In the summer of 1864, worn down with the hardships and hazards of three years' active campaigning, having traveled through seven Southern States, marched more than 3,000 miles, fought for the flag and the Union in twenty battles and skirmishes, the scarred veterans of the 13th came home and were received with a grand welcome. Such men deserve to live in the hearts and affections of the people for whom they have fought.

It is estimated that a majority of the 13th veterans have re-enlisted and are again in the field. Appended is the roster at the time the regiment went out of service:

Colonel, Adam B. Gorgas; Lieutenant-Colonel, Frederick W. Partridge; Major, James M. Beardsley; Adjutant (acting), Joseph M. Patterson; Quartermaster, John S. McClary; Surgeon, Samuel C. Plummer; Assistant Surgeon, Charles A. Thompson; Chaplain, Arnold T. Needham.

Co. A—A. Judson Pinkham, Captain; Mark M. Evans, First Lieutenant.

Co. B—George P. Brown, Captain; Joseph M. Patterson, 1st Lieutenant; John S. Russell, 2d Lieutenant.

Co. C—George B. Sage, Captain; Simeon F. Josselyn, 1st Lieutenant.

Co. D—Matthew McCullough, Captain; Albert T. Higby, First Lieutenant.

Co. E.—George H. Carpenter, Captain; William Wallace, 1st Lieutenant; Benjamin J. Gifford, 2d Lieutenant.

Co. F—Azro A. Buck, Captain; Theodore Loring, 1st Lieutenant.

Co. G—William M. Jenks, Captain; Silas M. Jackson, 1st Lieutenant.

Co. H—Edwin Went, Captain; Ethan A. Pritchard, 1st Lieutenant; Jesse D Pierce, 2d Lieutenant.

Co. I—James G. Everest, Captain; Robert Rutherford, 2d Lieutenant.

Co. K—Jordon J. Cole, Captain; Eli Bailey, 1st Lieutenant.

Among the early slain of much promise was Colonel John B. Wyman, whose blood was offered upon its altar—a costly libation.

Colonel John B. "Wyman, of the 13th, was born in Shrewsbury, July 12, 1817. He had an early fondness for military life, and was Lieutenant of the Shrewsbury Rifle Company. Removing to Cincinnati he entered the " Citizens' Guards," remaining with the organization three years, under command of Captain, later Major-General O. M. Mitchell, the gifted astronomer and author. Removing to Worcester, Mass., he became a member and soon thereafter a Lieutenant in the Worcester City Guards, and later he was 1st Lieutenant in the Springfield City Guards (Mass.). In 1848 he held a position on the New York and New Haven Railroad, and residing in the city of New York he served two years in the well known New York Light Guards. In 1850 he was Superintendent of the Connecticut River Railroad, and on the reorganization of the Springfield Light Guards, was chosen their captain, and commanded them two years and a half.

Then he removed to the West, and was appointed Assistant Superintendent of the Illinois Central Railroad, February, 1853. He rendered efficient service in the construction and operation of this great road, built in faith of the future development of the great prairies through which it stretches its way.

The next year the Chicago Light Guards was organized, a band of admirable citizen soldiers, and Superintendent Wyman was chosen captain, and served as such three years, when he resigned. He was, however, re-elected in 1858.

Discontinuing the service of the I. C. R. R. he entered into private business at Amboy, Lee County, Illinois, where he had his home. His neighbors found him a man of activity and industry. They felt his energy.

« AnteriorContinuar »