Imágenes de páginas


Gen. Sherman reports the severe wounding of Col. Julius Raith, of the 43d Illinois, a native of Germany, but who came to this State in 1836, when he was but seventeen years of age. He served as Captain with distinction in Col. BisselPs regiment during the war with Mexico. He entered into the cause of the Union with hearty earnestness and was instrumental in raising the 43d, and entered the service as its Colonel in October, 1861. On that memorable Sunday at Shiloh, he led a brigade made up of the 17th, 29th and 49th Illinois. The brigade was assigned to the immediate defense of Waterhouse's battery. Appier's regiment broke in confusion, and was followed by Munger's, leaving the battery exposed. The enemy rushed forward in overwhelming numbers, but the three regiments stood their ground under the terrific rebel fire, until the commander, Col. Raith, fell from his horse, shot above the knee by a minnie ball, when, to use Gen. Sherman's words, "they manifested disorder" and three of "Waterhouse's guns were captured. The brave Colonel lay twenty-four hours on the field, and when picked up was in a feeble and exhausted condition. He was conveyed to the steamer Hannibal, and on the way to the Mound City Hospital his leg was amputated. He never rallied, but died on the 11th of April of tetanus or lock-jaw.

General Sherman says, "Major Sanger's intelligence, quick perception and rapid execution were of great value to me. He also compliments Major Taylor, chief of cavalry, highly.

General Veatch says: "Col. Hall of the 14th Illinois, with his regiment, led that gallant charge on Monday evening, which drove the enemy beyond our lines and closed the struggle on that memorable day. In the heat of the battle he exhibited the skill and firmness of a veteran."

All the reports recognize the efficiency of the Illinois artillery throughout both the eventful days of Shiloh. Waterhouse was left without supports, and with his battery, that scorned to retreat, fought for a terrible half hour with an enemy closing upon each flank and bearing down upon the front, when he retreated, seriously 'wounded in the thigh by a minnie ball, and his first Lieutenant, Abbott, also wounded, though slightly, bringing off only three guns.

Schwartz fought his guns beside Waterhouse, and under compulsion, shared the retreat, losing most of his guns.

Taylor's battery, commanded by Captain Barrett, supported gallantly by the 22d Illinois infantry, stood firm, sending its terrible fire through the serried lkjes of Beauregard, until battery and support were outflanked on both sides, when they retired through a heavy cross-fire, the battery losing one man killed', seventeen wounded, twelve horses, the forge and battery wagons.

Waterhouse took a second position with his three guns, supported by McClernand's second brigade, and was again compelled to retreat and again advanced.

The rebels well knew when, on the parade ground of the first division, Taylor's battery took up its second position and engaged in a duel with a rebel battery eight hundred yards in front, which it silenced, and blew up its caisson.

In the Sunday fight Co. A, Chicago Artillery, Captain Wood was so much cut up as to be able to work but three guns.

Matteson's and Silversparre's guns, on Sunday afternoon, effect ually stayed the heavy advancing columns of Beauregard's forces.

As to Colonel Webster, all accorded him the meed of the higher skill and coolest decision. Long will be remembered by Southern leaders, that semi-circle of belching cannon he placed to celebrat' the vespers of that Sabbath fight, and before which recoiled tlv hosts dashing forward to "drive Grant into the river."

Col. David Stuart, commanding a brigade, was severely wounded He was commended for bravery and capacity.

In the last bloody effort on our left, the famous scout, Carson from Chicago, was killed instantly by a cannon ball which took oft his head. He was a daring and skillful scout, making his waj almost at pleasure within and out of the enemy's lines.

The Illinois 57th, Col. Baldwin, lost heavily after exhibiting the most determined bravery. Major 1ST. B. Page, of Maiden, was killed, falling in the heroic discharge of duty. He was mourned by comrades and by the community from which he went to war. Five Captains were wounded, one mortally; three Lieutenants were wounded, one mortally.

Captain Lewis Mauss, a noted scientific Chicago occulist, comMEMORY OF SHILOH. 283

manding a company in the 43d, was wounded in the side by a fragment of shell and died within twenty-four hours.

Captain E. M. Knapp, of the 5 2d, was killed on Sunday as he cheered his men on to the battle. But the long roll cannot be perfectly made at this time.

Other cases of merit will be mentioned in the record of regiments and individuals. In the battle of Shiloh, Illinois wrote a glorious historic scroll. Whatever may be hereafter, the memory of that day, with its proud achievements, can never be taken from her. She wrote in blood a chapter that can never be obliterated. In her prairie homes, along her rivers, among her graves, and in her cities, thousands of children will each proudly say, "My father was an Illinois soldier in the battle of Shiloh!"


Reconnoissance On The Corinth RoadThe Movement On PurdyThe Battles At FarmingtonEvacuation Of Corinth, And Its Occupation By The Union ForcesChanges In The ArmyBattle Of IukaThe Rebel Defeat At CorinthBatTles Of The Hatchie.

GENERAL GRANT, with his customary tenacity of purpose and rapidity of action, did not rest upon the success achieved at Shiloh. On the 8th of April, Gen. Sherman with his cavalry and two brigades of infantry made a reconnoissance on the Corinth road. The rebel cavalry were soon overtaken and a fight immediately occurred. The rebels charged upon our skirmish line and broke through it, putting the Ohio Seventy-seventh to flight, and at the outset throwing Col. Dickey's Fourth Illinois Cavalry into disorder. Gen. Sherman sent orders to the rear for the brigade to form inline of battle. The broken infantry and cavalry rallied on this line and advanced, Col. Dickey's gallant regiment leading off in a dashing charge with their carbines. The rebels broke this time and fled. The troops being wearied out with their three days' hard fighting, privations and exposures, the pursuit was given up, and after caring for the wounded and burying the dead, they returned to camp.

On the 30th of April, another reconnoissance was made by order of Gen. Grant toward Purdy, a small town twenty miles from Corinth, on the Mobile and Ohio Railroad. The force consisting of seven regiments of infantry including the Seventy-eighth and Twentieth Ohio, two batteries of artillery, and the Fourth and Eleventh Illinois and Fifth Ohio Cavalry were commanded by Gen. Wallace, and belonged to his division. At night the infantry and artillery bivouacked in the woods midway between Pittsburg Landing and Purdy, while the cavalry under command of Col. Dickey continued on toward Purdy, reaching its vicinity about midnight. The in


tense darkness of the night, and a previous storm which set in, rendered operations impossible, and the force returned to the bivouac." The next morning, however, the word was again "Forward," and our cavalry entered Purdy. Col. Dickey sent a small force to skirmish two miles below Purely, while another force destroyed the railroad bridge two miles above it. The work was accomplished. The bridge was torn up and the connection between Purdy and Corinth completely destroyed. The object of the expedition having been accomplished, the troops returned to camp on the 29th, without the loss of a man by the enemy. Many a brave Illinois soldier however, fell a victim to the exposures of that night in the storm and swamps.

The third reconnoissance developed the battle of Farmington, in which Illinois generals and Illinois soldiers again shone conspicuously. On the 3d of May, our forces had scarcely got into their new camp between Hamburg and Corinth, before the order came for a reconnoissance in force. Generals Paine and Palmer were detailed for the work. The regiments selected were almost entirely from Illinois, comprising the Tenth, Sixteenth, Twenty-second, Twentyseventh, Forty-second and Fifty-first Illinois, the Yates Sharpshooters (Illinois), Houghteling's Illinois Battery, Hezcock's Ohio Battery, the Sixteenth Michigan Infantry and Second Michigan Cavalry. The column proceeded but five miles on the Farmington road, when a rebel force was encountered and the battle commenced. The rebel pickets were soon driven in. Our forces pushed on and were met with a sharp fire from behind the fallen trees. The gallant riflemen of the Yates Sharpshooters drove them from the abattis, and thus they were pushed from point to point for two miles, until an eminence was reached, from which the rebel artillery commanded the road. The Tenth Illinois and the Yates Sharpshooters, however, flanked them and they retreated under a most galling fire to a second position on the crest of a hill. Houghteling's guns came up on the double quick and opened a murderous fire, and j^gain the rebels fled to a new position, half a mile further on and about a quarter of a mile from Farmington. Houghteling's Battery immediately moved to the rebel left, and Hezcock's Battery to the right. Their concentrated fire was soon too terrible for any troops

« AnteriorContinuar »