Imágenes de páginas


participated in two general engagements for the possession of the Weldon Railroad, August 19th and 21st, 1864, defeating and driving the right of the enemy's line from the field on the 19th, capturing seventy prisoners and over Hve hundred stand of small arms thrown away by the enemy in his flight.

Subsequently, prostrating and protracted illness compelled Gen. White to tender his resignation which was accepted and he returned to private life.


Col. Carr, of the 3d Illinois cavalry, commanded the Fourth Division of Curtis' army, in the battle of Pea Ridge. He was born in Erie Co., New York; March 30, 1830. His father, Clark M. Carr, removed to Galesburg in 1848, and this State has, since that period, been the General's home. He entered the military academy at West Point at the age of sixteen, and upon his graduation was appointed brevet 2d Lieut, of Mounted Riflemen. He knew it not at that time, but his lot was cast where he was being fitted for the work assigned him, the maintenance of the authority and majesty of the Government.

His first service, and a brief one, was at Jefferson Barracks, Mo., whence he was ordered to Fort Laramie, and was, for several years, actively engaged in suppressing Indian hostilities on the Western plains. One of his frequent skirmishes was in 1854, near the Diabole Mountain, in which as he was pressing upon the rear of a flying expedition, that, in spite of personal illness, he had chased nearly one hundred miles, he was severely wounded by an arrow in the abdomen, and until now he has never recovered fully from its effects. He continued the pursuit, routing the Indians, and inflicting upon them a heavy loss of their bravest warriors. For this he received promotion into the 1st regiment of cavalry.

He was to have another lesson, and to learn the j)eculiar amiability of slavery and its disregard for law and order. In 1857 he was transferred to Kansas, and assigned as aid to Governor Robert J. Walker. "He was there through the Border-Ruffian war, for such it may almost be called, the early stage of the present gigantic •strife. In the autumn he accompanied Governor Walker to Washington, and in the spring following (1858) served under Colonel (subsequently General) Sumner in the Utah expedition, where he was privileged by seeing the political workings of the twin abominations of Slavery and Polygamy.

He was promoted Captain in the regular army and placed in command at Fort Washita, and repeatedly warned the War Department of the treasonable movements of the hoary-traitor Twiggs and his younger associates in villainy, but Floyd, the distributor of arms, and, more lately, the retiring hero of Donelson, was in power. He could not order their arrest! Under orders, the Captain moved with his command through the Indian nation to Fort Leavenworth, and thence toward Springfield, Mo., and took part in the bloody battle of Wilson's Creek, and covered Sigel's retreat.

He received permission of the War Department to accept the command of an Illinois regiment of cavalry, two of which were tendered him, and after a short time in camp, took the field at the head of the 3d.

Joining General Curtis, he commanded the Fourth Division and sustained the brunt of the combined assaults of the rebel hordes. Terribly the tide of battle rolled about the handful he commanded. Scarcely 2,500 wrere with him, and yet the loss of his division was 700 men, more than half the entire loss. He was thrice wounded in the first day's battle, but bandaging his shattered wrist and wearing it in a sling, he continued with his command until victory was gained.

For gallant conduct on this occasion he was promoted BrigadierGeneral of Volunteers, March 7, 1S62, and we may meet him again.


In the battle of Pea Ridge, Col. Greusel of the 36th Illinois, commanded a brigade, and a brief sketch of him may wall follow this first notice of public service. He was the seventh of eight children. His father was a soldier under Murat, and was made sergeant on the field for bravery. The son was trained to understand the duties and appreciate the honor of the soldier. His father's family readied New York June 2, 1833, and the children were notified that each must find a place for himself, which Nicholas was fortunate enough


to do in the family of Mrs. N. Fish, mother of Hon. Hamilton Fish, Ex-Governor of New York. Subsequently he was in the employ of Gen. Belnap. In 1835, his father removed to Detroit, Michigan, where the son entered the service of Rice & Co., lumber dealers, where he continued until the breaking out of the war with Mexico. His early teaching had led him into a military organization, "The Scott Guards," of which he had command, and he received the appointment of Captain of Co. G. 1st Regiment Michigan Volunteers, Col. T. B. W. Stockton. This regiment was brigaded with one from Alabama, and four companies of Georgia troops, and did good service from the gates of Vera Cruz to Orizaba. Peace came and the regiment was mustered out of service July 27, 1848, and at sunrise on the 28th the Captain was at his old post in the lumber-yard, as though there had been no bloody episode with marches and weary battles. His scrupulous care for the cleanliness of his command called out, subsequently to his return, expressions of public admiration and official approval.

Captain Greusel continued in the lumber business two years, and was subsequently alderman of the city of Detroit, and was appointed Inspector-General of Lumber for the State of Michigan. Col. Wilson says of him:

"In 1857, Capt. Greusel went to Chicago, 111., where he entered the service of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad Company, and remained in their employ until the bombardment of Fort Sumter, April 13, 1861. On Monday, April 15th, he enrolled himself as a private of a company in the city of Aurora, and arrived at Springfield on Friday, with one hundred and forty-eight privates, and was elected Captain of the same. On the 24th of April, the first regiment was formed—the 7th. John Cook was elected Colonel, and Capt. Greusel Major. The Major b'Ang the only man who had ever done military duty, the task of drilling the regiment devolved on him, and it was said by military men to be the best drilled regiment in the service. There are at this writing fifty-eight commissioned officers who were privates on the 24th of July 1861. After the three month's service, Major Gruesel was commissioned Lieut-Colonel. On the 20th of August, he was promoted to the colonelcy of the Fox River regiment, aftewards called the 36th regiment Illinois volunteers. The regiment was ordered to Rolla, Mo., for drill. On the 14th day of January, 1862, it was ordered to march for Lebanon, Mo., where it arrived on the 25th of January. The regiment was brigaded with the 13th, 3d and 17th Missouri volunteers, Welfley's Missouri and Capt. Hoffman's batteries. Col. Greusel was placed in command by Brig. Gen. Sigel, in which capacity he followed Gen. Price on his retreat to Batesville, Ark. He was in the masterly retreat of Gen. Sigel to Pea Ridge, and fought bravely during that ever memorable battle for thre,e successive days. He was highly complimented by Generals Curtis and Sigel for his coolness and bravery on the field, especially for preventing a stampede, which would have been most disastrous but for the coolness and presence of mind displayed by Col. Greusel.

"The regiment received orders, when fifteen miles beyond White River, Ark., to proceed to Corinth, by forced marches—240 miles distant—which it accomplished in ten days, when it embarked on the steamer Planet, and arrived and joined Gen. Pope's command at the trenches in front of Corinth, two days before the evacuation of that place by Gen. Beauregard."

Of the further movements of this gallant regiment notice will be hereafter taken and we may meet him again.

Others who distinguished themselves in the campaigns mentioned in this chapter will be noticed farther on, in connection with regimental histories, campaign or field sketches, or personal biographies.


Colonel Philip Sidney Post was born in Florida, Orange Co., New York, in the year 1833, was educated at Union College Schenectady, N". Y., where he graduated with the highest honors in 1855, and immediately entered the law school at Poughkeepsie, ET. Y. His father, General Peter Schuyler Post (a soldier of 1812, and a man distinguished for his martial spirit, probity and energy), removed with his family to Galesburg, Illinois, the same year. Upon leaving the law school, Colonel Post followed his family West and spent a year in traveling through the States of Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota, making the journey through the wilderCOLONEL POST. 237

ness between St. Paul to Lake Superior on foot. In 1857, he settled in Wyandotte, Kansas, and was soon engaged in an extensive practice of his profession in the courts of the southern counties of the territory. He also purchased a printing office and established the Wyandotte Argus of which he subsequently assumed editorial control without, however, relinquishing the practice of the law.

In the spring of 1861, he rejoined his family in Illinois preparatory to entering the army of the Union. On the 17th of July he was mustered as 2d Lieutenant in a company raised in Knox Co., Illinois. At that time the government would not receive troops from this State, and this company in order to enter the service, proceeded to St. Louis and became Co. A of the 9th Regt. Mo. Vols. The regiment was wholly composed of citizens of Illinois and subsequently, by an order from the War Department, it became the 59th Ills. Vol. Infantry.

It was organized by the appointment of J. C. Kelton, Assistant Adjutant-General, Department of Mississippi, as Colonel, and Lieut. Post as Adjutant: In January, the Adjutant was promoted to Major and took command of the regiment in the stern mid-winter march to join General Curtis on the toilsome and vigorous campaign which preceded the bloody battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas, at which engagement Major Post was shot through the shoulder, but utterly refused to leave the field until, becoming helpless from loss of blood, he was carried off. His gallantry received especial mention in the official reports, and ten days after the battle, having been unanimously elected by the officers of the regiment, he was commissioned Colonel in place of Colonel Kelton, who had been detached on the staff of Major-General Halleck, and who resigned upon hearing the news of the battle, and recommended the appointment of Major Post.

In May, 1862, though still suffering from the effects of the wound which nearly cost him his life, he reached Hamburg Landing and was assigned to the command of a brigade, which he marched to its place in the line of battle before Corinth four days before the evacuation of that place. The summer of 1862 he spent in Mississippi, actively engaged in military duties. When it was determined to , destroy the large factories at Bay Springs, Col. Post was entrusted

« AnteriorContinuar »