Imágenes de páginas

olfth corps were consoli-
rst army corps. Major-

The Eleventh and T dated and called the F General J. Hooker was assigned to command.

Major-General Gordon Granger was relieved from the command of the Fourth army corps, slid Major-General 0. 0. Howard was assigned in his stead.

Major-General Schoficld was assigned to the command of the Twenty-third army corps.

Major-General Slocuin would report to MajorGeneral Sherman, commanding the division of the Mississippi, and Major-General Stoncmon would report to Major-General Schoficld, commanding the department of tho Ohio, for assignment.

Major-General Granger would report by letter to the Adjutant-General of the army.

Captain Horace Porter, United States ordnance department, was announced as an aid-de-camp to Lieutenant-Gcneral Grant, with rank of Lieutenant-Colonel.General Orders.

Captain Pkelfs, of gunboat Number Twenty-six, captured a rebel mail-carrier near Crockett's llluff, Ark., with five thousand letters from Richmond and other points, and sixty thousand percussion-caps for General Price's army. The letters contained official communications from Sbreveport, and a considerable sum of Federal money.—The Metropolitan Fair, for the benefit of the Sanitary Commission, was inaugurated at New-York City, with imposing ceremonies.— New- York Papers.

—T. A. Hekdeiseom, Provost-Marshal of the district of Florida, issued the following circular from his headquarters at Jacksonville:

"All refugees from the rebel lines, and deserters from the rebel armies, and all persons desiring to become such, are hereby informed that they will not, under any circumstances, be compelled to serve in the United States army against the rebels. This assurance is fully given in General Orders Number Sixty-four, of date February eighteenth, 18G4, from the War Department.

"All such refugees and deserters, who are honest in their intentions of for ever deserting tho rebel cause, will be allowed every opportunity of engaging in their usual avocations; or, if they desire employment from tho United States, will, as far as expedient, be employed on the government works, receiving proper compensation for their services.

"All refugees or deserters who may bring

horses or mules into the Union lines will be paid their full valuo."

April 5.—The government powder-mills, belonging to the rebels, at Raleigh, North-Carolina, exploded this day, and killed several persons.

April 0.—Brigadier-General Guitar, from his headquarters at Macon, Missouri, issued general orders relinquishing his command of the district of North-Missouri, to Brigadier-General C. B. Fisk.

Reuben Patrick, captain of a company of secret service employed by order of Governor Bramlette, by Colonel G. W. Gallup, commanding tho district of Eastern Kentucky, with fifteen men of company I, Fourteenth Kentucky, and four of his own company, surprised Captain Bradshaw, with eighty men of Ilodge's brigade, on Quicksand Creek. He drove them in all directions, they leaving all their horses, arms, and camp equipage in Patrick's possession, who selected thirty of tli3 best horses, and, with three prisoners, made quick time for camp, where he arrived, having left ten dead rebels, and seven mortally wounded on tho ground. The captured arms were destroyed by burning them. This is the same Patrick who stole Humphrey Marshall's artillery out of his camp at Shclbyville, last spring.

An election was held in Maryland, to determine whether a convention should be called for the purpose of amending tho Constitution of tho State. The question was carried by a large majority.—Tije schooner Julia A. Hodges was captured off Matagorda Bay, Texas, by tho National vessel Estrella.

April 7.—The rebels made a dash within the National picket-lines at Port Hudson, La., and a brisk skirmish ensued, without important results to either side. A detachment of tho One Hundied and Eighteenth Illinois mounted infantry, and a section of Barnes's battery, Twenty-first New-York, with one gun, had been out mending tho line of telegraph to Baton Rouge, and on their return were attacked by a superior force of rebel cavalry and driven in. Simultaneously an attack was made on the pickets by an equally largo force, and tho detachment on the telegraph road was cut off and flanked. The cavalry came in by wood roads, but tho piece of artillery was spiked and left, and afterward carried off by the enemy. In the several skirmishes the Nationals lost one killed, four wounded, and six prisoners. They took two prisoners, one of them an officer. Gen

oral Ullman's division marched several miles outside, but on the approach of the infantry the rebels left without hazarding a tight. The rebel force was the Wirt Adams's cavalry from up the river, numbering nearly a thousand. They were well mounted and equipped.— The rebel schooner Spunky was captured by the National schooner Beauregard, off Cape Canaveral.

April 8.—Last night, a scouting-party of one hundred men of the Second Missouri volunteers, from New-Madrid, was surprised in camp and in bed by guerrillas, at a point sixteen miles northwest of Osceola, in Arkansas. A member of the attacked band gives the following detailed account of the expedition and surprise. He says: "The rebels demanded a surrender, firing on our men in their beds, before they could get up, and as they sprang up, the assailants fired a dreadful volley from double-barreled shot-guns. Lieutenant Phillips, springing up, and calling to his men to rally, discharged one shot with revolver, and was struck in the left temple by a ball, and killed instantly. Major Rabb called to the men to rally, but they were so tightly pressed for the moment, that they fell back to a house at which was company K. The combatants were so close, that it was dangerous to our own men for those at the house to fire. The firing on our part was thus much curtailed for the moment. Cut all was soon over; the rebels have fallen back, and taken covering in the darkness of the night. But they were not all as fortunate as they might have wished; for at the close of the fray, some of them were heard to call out: 'Don't leave us, for we arc wounded.' The fact of finding some arms on the ground, twenty or thirty feet off, where Lieutenant Phillips lay, proved that some of them had got their rights, (Federal lead.) In a few minutes after the fray, Sergeant Reese was ordered to tike eight men and carry the wounded to the house, which was done immediately. Here is the list of the unfortunate—Lieutenant Phillips, killed: Lieutenant Orr, severely wounded; Sergeant Handy, killed; Sergeant Millhouse, severely wounded; Sergeant Claypool, slightly, in arm; William Julian, slightly ; Thomas Jump, slightly, in leg; Joseph W. Davis, slightly; Milton R. Hardie, mortally, (has since died ;) Able Benny, slightly, in leg; William Chastcen, mortally, (has since died in hospital.) Total—four killed, seven wounded, all of company I, Second Missouri."

The dead were necessarily left, and after bury

ing them, the part}' conveyed the wounded the long distance to the river, and taking the steamer Darling, returned to quarters at New-Madrid tonight.

—Bv a general order, issued this day from the headquarters of the army of the Potomac, all civilians, sutlers, and their employes, were ordered to tlie rear by the sixteenth. Members of the Sanitary or Christian Commissions, and registered news correspondents only, were allowed to remain. All property for which there was no transportation, also was ordered to the rear, and the authority of corps commanders to grant furloughs was revoked, and none to be granted save in extreme cases, or in case of reenlisted veterans.

—A PAitTT of guerrillas entered Shelbyville, Ky., at one o'clock A.m., this day, stole seven horses, and broke open the Branch Bank of Ashland; but before they could rifle it of its contents, they became alarmed at the proximity of tlie Twelfth Oliio cavalry, and decamped. The rest of them were arrested, and confined in Taylorsville jail.—Tins evening, the National cavalry, under the command of General Grierson, made a descent upon a bridge over Wolf River, Tenn., which had just been completed by the rebel General Forrest, and succeeded in capturing and destroying it, with a loss of eight killed and wounded, and the capture of two rebel prisoners.

—the battle of Sabine Cross-Roads, La., took place this day. A participant in the fight gives the following account of it: "On the morning of the eighth of April, the regiment broke up camp at Pleasant Hill, and with the Twenty-fourth Iowa, Fifty-sixth Ohio, Forty-sixth Indiana, and Twenty-ninth Wisconsin, which composed the Third division, moved in the direction of Mansfield. After marching ten miles, the division halted and went into camp, as was supposed, for the night At half-past two o'clock P.m., we (the Twenty-eighth Iowa) were ordered into line, and forward with the division, to support General Lee's cavalry and the Fourth division of the Thirteenth army corps, then engaging the enemy. A rapid march of an hour brought us to the scene of action. The Twenty-eighth Iowa was formed on the extreme left, supported by four companies of the Twenty-fourth Iowa, and advanced into an open field to meet the enemy. Here the regiment (the Twenty-eighth) halted, and was ordered to fire. After a spirited contest of about fifteen minutes, being exposed to a ter

[graphic][ocr errors]

rible fire of grape, shell, and shrapnel from the enemy's batteries, causing sad havoc in our ranks, we were ordered to fall back a short distance to secure a better position. This was accomplished in the best possible manner. Our second position was taken behind a fence, near a small ravine, and held two hours, receiving the constant fire of the enemy's infantry, and being exposed to their artillery. At this time the enemy had gained our left flank and rear, and were pouring a deadly fire upon us. Our ammunition being, in a great measure, exhausted, and having no support whatever, we were obliged to retreat with the rest of the division. After a running fight of three miles, in which we harassed the advance of the enemy, we were met by the Nineteenth army corps, and, with their assistance, succeeded in checking them. Night soon caused a cessation of hostilities."—{Doe. 131.)

Colonel Howell, of the Eighty-fifth Pennsylvania volunteers, continued his reconnoissances toward the rebel outposts, in the neighborhood of Hilton Head, S. C. To-day, he advanced up the May River, in the patrolboat1! Foulk and Croton, guarded by the gunboat Chippewa. Detachments from the Seventysixth and Eighty-fifth Pennsylvania volunteers accompanied the expedition. Landing on Hunting Island, the forces drove in the rebel pickets, and skirmished with the force in their rear. Captain Phillips, with some men of the Eightyfifth, drove away the pickets in another locality, and regained the main body without casualty. Meanwhile, the Chippewa shelled the woods on and about the neighboring shores. Rcembarking, the force proceeded toward Bluffton, shelling that place and its vicinity.

—major-general John J. Peck, in official orders, issued the following from his headquarters at Newbern, N. 0.: "The Commanding General has the satisfaction of announcing another expedition against tho enemy, in which both the military and naval forces of NorthCarolina took part, sharing the honors equally.

"On the twenty-fifth of March, Colonel J. Jou rdan, commander of the sub-district of Bcaufotfc, with two hundred men of the One Hundred tod Fifty-eighth New-York volunteer infantry, embarked on board the United States gunboat Britannia, Lieutenant Uuse commanding, and steamed for Boguo and Bear Inlets, for the purpose of capturing two of the enemy's vessels engaged in contraband trade, and also a body of

cavalry reported to be at Swansboro. Ncaring the inlets, a portion of the command was transferred to small boats, and an effort made to effect a landing and move on Swansboro. All night long, in the breakers and storm, these littlo boats, with their patient crews, were tossed about. Several craft, in the violence of the gale, were dashed to pieces; but, through the energetic exertions of Colonel Jourdan and others, no lives were lost, although one officer (Captain David, of the One Hundred and Fifty-eighth New-York volunteers) was seriously injured.

"In the morning tho storm abated, and another attempt was made. As the boats moved up, instead of seeing the expected cavalry, they were saluted by heavy volleys of musketry from the river-banks. Tho enemy proving too strong, the party was obliged to return to tho vessel.

"At the same time, Lieutenant King, of Colonel Jourdan's staff, with a body of men in boats, moved up Bear Inlet: he found and burned one of tho vessels sought, together with its cargo of salt and leather. He returned to the gunboat, bringing with him forty-three negro refugees. Tho whole expedition arrived at Beaufort on the morning of the twenty-sixth ultimo, without the loss of a man.

"Great credit is due Colonel Jourdan and the officers and men of his command, together with the officers and men of the navy, for the efficient service performed. The Commanding General tenders his thanks especially to Colonel Jourdan, Captain Cuff, and Lieutenant King, of the army, and to Commander Dove and Lieutenants Huso and Cowie, of the navy."

April 9.—In the National House of Representatives, there was a very exciting discussion, in Committee of tho Whole, on a resolution offered by Mr. Colfax to expel Mr. Alexander Long, of Ohio, for disloyal sentiments uttered in his speech on Friday last. During tho discussion, Mr. Benjamin G. Harris, of Maryland, arose, and boldly avowed his gratification at the secession of the South, justifying it fully, and rebuking the Democratic party for not daring to come up to his standard of political morality. Mr. E. B. Washburne, of Illinois, instantly offered a resolution to expel Mr. Harris, which received eighty-one votes against fifty-eight; but two thirds being required, the resolution was not adopted. Mr. Schenck, of Ohio, then offered a resolution, severely censuring Mr. Harris, declaring him to be an unworthy member of the

« AnteriorContinuar »