Imágenes de páginas

honorably borne. These men were quickly followed by the Eighth Kentucky infantry, led by Colonel Barnes, who was reenforced late in the day by the Ninety-sixth Illinois, Colonel Champion leading. They were directed to hold the mountain at all hazards. Considerable stores and munitions of war, with the tents of a large encampment, fell into our hands. For particulars, I refer to the report of Colonel Barnes, who took them in charge. The number of prisoners taken by this command on Lookout is about six hundred, (fiOO.) They were sent to the prison-pound at the rear.

I refer to the report of the Provost-Marshal of this brigade for particulars. About eleven o'clock of this dav, the Fortieth Ohio, Ninetyninth Ohio, Fifty-first Ohio, and Thirty-fifth Indiana, under my command, advanced by orders in the direction of Rossville, to assault the left of the enemy on Missionary Ridge. At a signal from our centre near Chattanooga, we advanced— Colonel Grose's splendid brigade having the advance, my command supporting him. General Cruft was in command to-day of the division. The enemy were driven with great impetuosity and loss. To prevent Colonel Grose's command from being flanked on the left, two of my regiments—the Thirty-fifth Indiana, Colonel Mullen, and the Fifty-first Ohio, Lieutenant-Colonel Wood—were ordered to the front line on the left of the Third brigade. They advanced in fine order, and continued fighting gallantly and effectually in the front line until the enemy were driven from the ridge. That night we slept on Missionary Ridge. The next morning, the twenty-sixth, we marched in pursuit of the routed, swiftly-flying foe. Our progress was impeded by . destroyed bridges and swollen streams. That night we bivouacked on the ridge beyond Pea Vine, which divides the waters of East and VVest-Chickamauga.

At day-dawn, the twenty-seventh, the pursuit was continued, and the rear of the enemy overtaken at Ringgold; here the battle of Ringgold (most gallantly maintained by General Ostcrhaus and General Geary) was fought; my command was held in reserve by order from General Hooker. Later in the day on Monday, I detailed the Ninety-ninth Ohio, Lieutenant-Colonel Cummings, to reconnoitre the peak of Taylor's Ridge, to the right of the gorge through which the railroad passes. This was being rapidly done when the enemy were routed and fled.

My command destroyed over a mile of railroad, beginning at the depot in Ringgold. The ties were burned and the iron bent. The weather became excessively cold, freezing the ground and little ponds hard. The men were without blankets and overcoats, but not a murmur of dissatisfaction came from them; officers and men were inspired by a loyal enthusiasm that enabled them to beat the enemies of our Government and endure the little* hardships of exposure unrepining.

I specially commend Colonel Sid. M. Barnes, Colonel Thomas E. Champion, Colonel Taylor,

Colonel Mullen, Lieutenant-Colonel Cummings, and Lieutenant-Colonel Wood for bravery and the skilful manner in which they handled their regiments. I also call attention to Major Dufflcy and Major John S. Clark, for gallant conduct. I have not a word of censure for any officer of my command, but am highly gratified to have it in my power to say they all discharged their duty promptly and efficiently. The enlisted men were quick to obey and execute every order, however hazardous to carry out, and in addition to those already mentioned I add the names of John Mosly, Sergeant-Major of the Eighth Kentucky; Duncan, Color-Sergeantof tlie Ninetyninth Ohio; the Sergeant of the Fortieth Ohio, Jacob Buttle, of company G, and Clark Thornton, of company D, of the same regiment; John Powers, Sergeant-Major of the Thirty-fifth Indiana, as worthy of special observation.

To my staff I call the attention of the General in command. We had to dismount and go on foot in storming Lookout. The transportation of orders over its rugged sides in the face of the enemy was one of great danger and labor, but the energy of my intrepid Acting Adjutant-General, Captain J. Rowan Boone; of my untiring aids, Lieutenants Phipps, Peck, and Riley; of my Provost-Marshal, Lieutenant Pepoom; and of Brigado Inspector, Captain North, enabled me to overcome it all, and, through their assistance, I was enabled to handle my brigade in the manner I desired. Not an order was sent that was not swiftly carried and as swiftly executed. I deem it due Warren C. Gallehue, of the Eighty-fourth Indiana, and William Spears, of the Fortieth Ohio, and Joseph Long, orderlies of my staff, to recommend them for promotion for gallantry.

Quartermaster's Lieutenant Tgot, though Brigade Quartermaster, ofTered his services for the expedition, and discharged his thankless fatiguing duty regardless of mud, and was active in obtaining supplies for my men and forage for the animals through the cold freezing nights. The surgeons of the brigade, under control of Dr. Beach, discharged their duties well. Father Coony, Chaplain to the Thirty-fifth Indiana, a most exemplary man, was with us to cheer us, and wait upon the wounded and dying according to the rites of his Church. He came under my personal notice in the fiercest of the fight. Tlie strength of my command in storming Lookout was one hundred and ten commissioned officers and one thousand three hundred and fifty-five enlisted men, making an aggregate of one thousand four hundred and sixty-five actively engaged.

My loss in killed is one officer and sixteen enlisted men. Wounded, six officers and fifty-two enlisted men. Two were missing, making an aggregate loss of eighty-two men. See tabular statement herewith appended.

Our country, his family, and his friends have to mourn the loss of Major Acton, of the Fortieth Ohio. He was among the best officers in the service. It is a source of great satisfaction to have been instrumental in accomplishing such magnificent and important results with so little loss, and I can only attribute it to the care of that Providence who spread the mantle of his protection over us; and the bold impetuosity of my brave men that bore down, and gave the enemy no time to rally their broken columns.

To the officers and men of General Geary's war-worn division, the heroes around whose brows cluster the unfading laurels of Gcttysburgh, we of the Cumberland extend a soldier's greeting and congratulation; they were our companions in storming Lookout, and the best testimonial wc can give them of our appreciation of their bravery and endurance, is that we thought their valor and conduct worthy of our most energetic emulation.

Walker C. Whitaker,

Brigadier-General Commanding. BRIGADIER-GENERAL HAZES* REPORT.

Headquarters Second Brigade, Third Division, )

Fourth Coups, In Camp, Near V

Knoxtille, Tenn., December 10,1868. )

A. A. 0., Third Division, Fourth Corps, Present:

In obedience to orders, I have the honor to report as follows of the operations of my brigade, commencing with moving from camp at Chattanooga, November twenty-third, resulting in the rout of the enemy on Mission Ridge, and ending with our arrival at this point December seventh:

At twelve M., November twenty-third, I received orders to form my brigade near Fort Wood, and hold it in readiness to move in the direction of Mission Ridge (south-easterly) with the remainder of the division on a reconnoissance. The position assigned me was on the right of the front line. The brigade was formed in five battalions, as follows:

First Battalion: Colonel Aquilla Wiley, Fortyfirst Ohio volunteer infantry, commanding, was composed of the following regiments, namely, Forty-first Ohio, Lieutenant-Colonel R. L. Kimbcrly, and Ninety-third Ohio, Major Wm. Birch.

Second Battalion: Colonel W. W. Berry, Fifth Kentucky volunteer infantry, commanding; of the Fifth Kentucky volunteer infantry, Lieutenant-Cololonel J. L. Trainor, and Sixth Kentucky volunteer infantry, Major R. T. Whitaker.

Third Battalion: Lieutenant-Colonel E. B. Langdon, First Ohio volunteer infantry, commanding; of the First Ohio volunteer infantry. Major J. A. Stafford, and Twenty-third Kentucky volunteer infantry, Lieutenant-Colonel James C. Foy.

Fourth Battalion: Lieutenant-Colonel James Pickands, One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Ohio volunteer infantry, commanding; of the One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Ohio volunteer infantry, Major J. B. Hampson, and Sixth Indiana, Major C. I). Campbell.

Fifth Battalion: Sixth Ohio volunteer infantry, Lieutenant-Colonel A. C. Christopher, commanding. In all, two thousand two hundred and fiftysix effective officers and men.

The first and third battalions were deployed

in the front line, and the fourth and fifth were formed in double column in the second line.

The second battalion was on picket, and in position to be used as skirmishers. The entire battalion was deployed as such, and at the sound of the bugle, at two P.m., the entire brigade moved forward in exact order, and in two minutes the skirmish line was sharply engaged with that of the enemy, which gave ground after firing their pieces, and no considerable opposition was felt after till we reached their first line of rifle-pits, about one half-mile to the rear of their picket-line, where the pickets and their reserves endeavored to check our advance ; but, pushing the first battalion, that being immediately in front of their principal force, the work, situated on a rocky hill, was carried in the most handsome manner, capturing nearly the entire regiment holding it, the Twenty-eighth Alabama infantry, with their colors.

It was not accomplished, however, without serious cost to the Forty-first and Ninety-third Ohio. Major Birch, leading the latter, fell here; also, eleven of his men killed and forty-eight wounded. The Forty-first Ohio lost eleven men killed and fifty-two wounded.

Colonel Wiley and Lieutenant-Colonel Kimberly, of the same regiment, each had horses killed under them, and Colonel Berry, commanding the skirmishers, was struck twice.

This position was actually carried at the point of the bayonet, the enemy being captured behind their work by the men leaping over it.

During the last half mile of this advance my right was entirely exposed, and suffered severely from an enfilading fire of tho enemy.

The night of the twenty-third was employed in strengthening our position by works, and the twenty-fourth was passed without engaging the enemy.

At about eleven A.m., on the twenty-fifth, I was ordered to advance my skirmish-line sufficiently to develop the enemy's strength behind his main line of breastworks at the foot of Mission Ridge, about one half-mile in our front. This was handsomely done under the immediate command of Lieutenant-Colonel Christopher, Sixth Ohio infantry. In this advance, Major S. C. Erwine, Sixth Ohio infantry, was killed by a shell, and eight or ten others killed and wounded. At about three o'clock P.m., this day, I received orders to move forward with the remainder of the division and take possession of the enemy's works at the foot of Mission Ridge, taking cover behind them, and there to await further orders.

The One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Ohio was on picket and used as skirmishers. The other formations of battalions were similar to that on the twenty-third instant; the Sixth Kentucky reporting to Colonel Christopher, and acting with the fifth battalion, and the Sixth Indiana, acting with the second; both lines were deployed; tho third and fifth battalions forming the first, and the first and second the second line.

At the signal the brigade moved forward, and, simultaneously, a fire from at least fifty pieces of artillery, from the crest of Mission Ridge, was poured upon us. We moved in good order, at a rapid step, under this appalling fire, to the enemy's works, which were situated about three hundred yards below, and toward Chattanooga, from the crest of the ridge, the enemy fleeing from these works at our approach. The command, on reaching the enemy's works at the foot of the hill, covered itself, as ordered, on the reverse side as best it could, but very imperfectly, being so near and so much below the crest of the ridge.

The musketry fire from the crest was now telling severely upon us, and the crest presenting its concavity toward us, we were completely enfiladed by artillery from both flanks.

The position was a singular one, and can only be well understood by those who occupied it.

The command had executed its orders, and to remain there till new ones could be sent would be destruction: to fall back would not only be so, but would entail disgrace.

On commencing the advance, the thought of storming Mission Ridge had not entered the mind of any one, but now the necessity was apparent to every soldier of the command. Giving the men about five minutes to breathe, and receiving no orders, I gave the word forward, which was eagerly obeyed.

The forces of General VVillich, on my left, had commenced the movement somewhat in my advancc, and those of Major-General Sheridan, on my rijrht, were a considerable distance in my rear. There were in my front the troops of General Breckinridge, forming the left of the enemy's centre.

Not much regard to lines could be observed, but the strong men, commanders, and colorbearers took the lead, in each case forming the apex of a triangular column of men. These advanced slowly, but confidently; no amount of fire from the crest checking them.

Lieutenant-Colonel Langdon, of the First Ohio, gaining a position where the conformation of the hill gave cover, till within three yards of the crest, formed several hundred men there, checking the head for that purpose; then giving the command, the column broke over the crest, the enemy fleeing. These were the first men of the entire army on the hill, and my command moving up with a shout, their entire front was handsomely carried.

The troops on my immediate left were still held in check, and those on my right not more than half-way up the hill, and were being successfully held back. Hurrying my men to the right and left along the crest, I was enabled to take the enemy in flank and reverse, and, by vigorously using the artillery captured there, I soon relieved my neighbors and carried the crest within a few hundred yards of Bragg's headquarters; he himself escaping by flight, being at one time near my right, encouraging the troops that had checked Sheridan's left.

The heroism of the entire command in this

engagement merits the highest praise of the country.

Colonel Aquila Wiley, Forty-first Ohio, commanding First battalion, was shot through the leg, making amputation necessary.

The loss to the servioe of this officer cannot be properly estimated. He was always prompt and thorough, and possessed capacity and knowledge of his duties that never left him at fault I know no officer of equal efficiency in the volunteer service, and none whose past services entitle them to better reward. The services and losses of his battalion, composed of the Forty-first and Ninety-third Ohio infantry, also stand conspicuous.

Lieutenant-Colonel Langdon, First Ohio infantry, commanding Third battalion, was shot through the face just as he had reached the crest of the hill, and, after lying prostrate from the wound, again moved forward cheering his men.

The services of this officer, in first gaining the crest, should be rewarded by promotion to the grade of brigadier-general. He has previously commanded a brigade with efficiency.

Colonel Berry, Fifth Kentucky infantry, was again wounded, just as he had reached the crest at the head of his battalion, being the third received in these operations. He, however, did not leave the field. A like promotion, in his case, would be not only fitting but beneficial to the service.

On the fall of Colonel Wiley, Lieutenant-Colonel Kimberly, Forty-first Ohio, assumed command of the First battalion, and, through the remainder of the engagement, fought it with his usual rare ability.

Lieutenant-Colonels Christopher, Sixth Ohio infantry, and Pickands, One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Ohio, commanding battalions, rendered valuable and meritorious service.

I have also to mention Corporal G. A. Kramer, company I, Forty-first Ohio, for his gallantry, in turning upon the enemy the first gun on the ridge, which he discharged by firing hi3 musket over the vent. The same man, alone, ordered and received the surrender of twenty men with the colors of the Twenty-eighth Alabama on the twenty-third instant

Sergeant D. L. Sutphin, company D, Ninetythird Ohio, on reaching the crest, captured a stand of colors in the hands of its bearer.

Corporal Angelbeck, company I, Forty-first Ohio, seeing a caisson filled with ammunition already on fire with two wounded horses attached to it, cut them loose and ran the burning carriage down the hill before it exploded.

The colors of the First Ohio, the first on the hill, were carried, while ascending it, at different times, by the following men and officers:

Corporal John Emery, company I, wounded.

Corporal Wm. McLaughlin, company I, killed.

Captain Nicholas 'frapp, wounded.

Corporal Thos. Bawler, company A, wounded.

Corporal Frederick Zimmerman.

Major Stafford.

The foregoing are but a few of the many in

stances of heroism displayed on this occasion deserving especial mention:

Major William Birch, Ninety-third Ohio, and Major S. C. Envine, Sixth Ohio infantry, who fell while leading their men, were soldiers of rare efficiency, ami their loss will be severely felt by the service and lamented by their friends.

My entile staff, as has always been the case in the numerous battles in which they have been engaged, conducted themselves with the greatest bravery and usefulness. In summing up the operations of the twenty-third and twenty-fifth, I have to report the capture of three hundred and eighty-two prisoners, besides a large number of wounded, of two stands of colors, of eighteen pieces of artillery^ with their appendages, six hundred and fifty stand of small arms, a considerable quantity of clothing, camp, and garrison equipage, and eleven loaded wagons. Forty-nine of the enemy, including one colonel, were buried by my parties.

Attention is called to reports of battalion commanders accompanying this paper.

My entire casualties are as follows:

Omens. Mes. Missing.

Kill. W'd. Kill. WU Of. Men. Total.

Fortv-Hmt Ohio 1 5 17 «5 .. .. S3

Fifth Kentucky 2 6 8 4C .... «2

PlrstOhlo, 1 4 10 61 .. .. 79

Sixth Ohio, 1 i a 26 .. 5 39

One Hundred and

TVentv-FnurthOhlo,. 18 5 18 .. 2 59

Twenty-third Kentucky, .. 2 9 84 .... 45

Sixth Indiana 8 18 60 .. .. 7'>

Ninety-third Ohio, 1 4 19 0* ... S3

Sixth Kentucky, 1 .. 'ii .. .. 28

Total, 7 80 80 899 .. 7 629

On the morning of the twenty-eighth, we took up the march for this place, which was reached the evening of the seventh instant

I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant, W. B. Hazes,



Fourth Corps, Chattanooga, Not. 2S, 1868. f Soldiers: Your General congratulates you upon the immortal deeds of the twenty-fifth. The enemy had fortified a position deemed impregnable by nature.' You assaulted it; your colors were first on the heights. You hurled the enemy; terror-stricken by the heroic daring of your attack, from his stronghold, and eighteen pieces of artillery, two stands of colors, with numerous prisoners and small arms, are your trophies. Where can the enemy stand before your invincible ranks?

For your noble dead, a nation will weep; but let us, who knew them as worthy to stand with the noblest, remember that in a thousand battles a prouder death could not have fallen to their lot W. B. Hazes,


[ocr errors][merged small]

the twenty-third of November to the seventh instant, inclusive.

Being on picket in front of Chattanooga at two P.m., November twenty-third, I received orders to deploy my entire command, consisting of the Fifth and Sixth Kentucky volunteer infantry, as skirmishers. This done, the "Forward" was sounded, and the line advanced with great regularity. The enemy's pickets fell back rapidly on their reserves, which were strongly posted behind rifle-pits, on the crests of a series of knobs, some of which were timbered, others bare. At but one point along the line was the opposition strong enough to check the skirmishline, and this was but momentary, as the Ninetythird and Forty-first Ohio regiments came up in fine order, and the whole line went over the works, capturing the principal portion of the enemy's forces in them—flags, guns, accoutrements, and all. In this affair, Captain J. P. Hurley, one of my best officers, fell mortally wounded. He died next day. The service could not have met with a heavier loss in the death of a single individual. Major Whitaker, Sixth Kentucky, held his portion of the line fully up to the works. We held the position thus taken till the afternoon of the twenty-fifth, when I received orders to consolidate the Fifth Kentucky regiment with the Sixth Indiana volunteers, and be prepared to advance on the enemy at once. The position assigned me in the brigade was on the left of the second line. There was to be an interval of four hundred yards between the lines. At the proper time I advanced, and reached the enemy's second line of works a few moments after the first line of battle had occupied them. This was the extent of my orders. But hearing Lieutenant-Colonel Langdon, commanding that portion of the first line in my front, order it forward, I advanced simultaneously. In a little while, the lines became mingled, the strong men of each regiment outstripping the weaker in climbing the steep acclivity, and thus the heights of Mission Ridge were carried, and eighteen pieces of artillery captured, with, I believe, the entire force of the enemy in our front. Again I have to regret the loss of a capital officer. Captain Wilson, killed half-way up the ridge. Young, earnest, and brave, his country and comrades will never forget the sacrifice there made.

The guns captured were immediately turned upon the enemy in General Sheridan's front The rebel cannoneers good-naturedly assisted in this artillery practice, which to us was novel business. Lieutenant-Colonel Treanor, Fifth Kentuky, and Major Campbell, Sixth Indiana, merit the highest commendation for the energy and coolness with which they organized a body of men from all the regiments, and threatened to cut off the enemy to our right thus relieving General Sheridan from a most determined opposition. The officers and men of my command cannot be awarded too great honor for their heroic conduot in this, the most fiery ordeal of the war. The whole thing was more a matter of individuals than of organization, and consequently the glory is more personal than in any battle I know of. My loss was heavy, but were the dead only living, I should esteem the triumph cheaply purchased. The temporary absence, on account of wounds received in this brittle, of Captain Huston, Lieutenants Zollcr and Thomas, is a source of considerable embarrassment, as they are most valuable officers. My color-bearer, Corporal Murphy, was killed within a few feet of the summit, in advance of the entire brigade. I had no braver man in my command. Adjutant Johnston and Surgeon Miller have my thanks for the services rendered me, and I especially commend Sergeants AVolf and McOermont for their handsome behavior. You are respectfully referred to Major Campbell's report for those honorably mentioned in Sixth regiment Indiana volunteers.

We remained on Mission Ridge till the evening of the twenty-sixth, when we moved to Chattanooga, to prepare to sot out for Knoxville, which point we reached, after ten days' marching, on the afternoon of the seventh instant.

Inclosed you will please find lists of the killed and wounded of the Sixth Indiana and B'ifth and Sixtli Kentucky infantry.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
William W. Beiikv,

Colonel Fifth Kentucky Volunteers.
Captain Cbowell,
Assistant Adjutant-General Second Brigade, Third Division,
Fourth Army Corps.



In Cam!' Nkar Knoxvillk, Tsnn., Dec. 8, 1*G3. f

Captain: I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of the battalion under my command, which includes the Fortyfirst and Ninety-third regiments infantry, Ohio volunteers, from the time of breaking camp at Chattanooga, November twenty-third, 1803, to the present date.

At the commencement of the operations, Colonel Aquila Wiley, Forty-first infantry, Ohio volunteers, was in command of the battalion; "but the wounding of that officer, on the evening of the twenty-fifth, devolves upon me the duty of reporting the operations beforo I assumed command.

At noon of November twenty-third, the battalion prepared to move from its camp near Fort Wood, Chattanooga, upon a reconnoissance toward Missionary Ridge, and at two o'clock of that day marched in line of battle with the brigade upon the enemy's ride-pits, a mile in advance of the Ridge. The position assigned this battalion was upon the right of the first line, its front being covered by the Fifth Kentucky infantry as skirmishers. The advance for eight hundred yards from Fort Wood was over open ground; beyond this was a forest, in the skirts of which the enemy's pickets were met, but gave way readily before the skirmishers. As the line advanced in support of the skirmishers, Colonel Wiley, seeing his right uncovered, sent two companies of the Forty-first regiment, under Major Willis

Vol. VIII.—Doc. 15

ton, to act as flankers. Passing over a gentle crest, which had been occupied by the rebel pickets, and into the dense undergrowth of oak in the valley beyond, the enemy's resistance became suddenly obstinate. The skirmishers could advance no further, but the main line went steadily forward for two hundred yards without firing, though receiving a rapid musketry fire. A good line of rifle-pits on a considerable crest, a hundred yards to the front, was now distinctly visible, and in these pits the rebel pickets had been rallied. Colonel Wiley sent notice of this fact to his brigade commander, and received immediately an order to take the rifle-pits and hold the crest. Before the messenger bearing the order reached him, Cofonel Wiley had opened firo and led his battalion forward to within fifty paces of the rifle-pits. Here he mot a severe lire from the front and right flank. At the latter point, the enemy's line of works bent toward his front, and enabled him to pour upon Colonel Wiley's line an enfilading fire. Near a fourth of the men were struck down here in advancing twenty-five or thirty paces, and the battalion was for a moment staggered by the withering musketry. It soon rallied, however, under the personal efforts of Colonel Wiley and his subordinates, and pressed forward over the rifle-pits. As soon as these were reached, the enemy's resistance ceased, and the men who occupied the pits generally surrendered, and were sent to tho rear. A slight parapet for the defence of the position was at once constructed. Tho line to our right was also abandoned, almost immediately, and the battalion was left in quiet possession of the works, subject only to a cannonade of an hour from the enemy's batteries on Missionary Ridge.

During the twenty-fourth and until afternoon of tho twenty-fifth, the battalion remained in tho position above described. At two P.m., of tho twenty-fifth, tho brigade was formed to carry tho enemy's works at the foot of Missionary Ridge. Colonel Wiley's battalion was assigned a position on the right of the second line. Tho battalions of this line were deployed, having to pass for three fourths of a mile under firo of tho enemy's batteries on the Ridge, before coming upon the works at the foot. Scarcely was tho line in motion before the enemy commenced a furious cannonade from tho Ridge, which was continued uninterruptedly until his batteries fell into our hands. The works at the foot of the Ridge were carried by the skirmish-line, and tho battalion moved up and covered itself behind them as well as was possible. While lying here, Colonel Wiley, who had incautiously exposed himself, was struck by a canister-shot, which shattered his leg. A few moments afterward, I heard the order from the brigade commander to assault the enemy's line at the summit of the Ridge, and the command of the battalion having devolved upon me, I at once ordered the men forward. Owing to the noise of the cannonade, and the fact that tho men were lying flat upon their faces for cover, it was impossible to make

« AnteriorContinuar »