Imágenes de páginas

man friend, accompanied an anxious mother to take another look of her darling son, who was one of Major 'Cook's artillerists, and who was to leave that night. All was still and quiet save here and there the rapid footfall of a soldier or perhaps two, hurrying to their place of rendezvous, their bright arms glittering in the moonlight, or now and then the clattering of hoofs with a solitary carriage conveying some friends of soldiers to "see them once more," before they departed. No noise or confusion indicated to us the place of their meeting. We wended our way to the State House. All was silent, no signs of life. We passed around to the back entrance, where stood a solitary carriage waiting for some officers who were in council with the governor in the executive chamber. A sentinel, pacing to and fro, demanded to know our business. On being informed, he gave us all necessary information as to where the troops could be found. We proceeded hastily to the "armory," in the lower part of the city. On arriving there, we found congregated an immense mass of human beings anxiously waiting for the soldiers to come out, as there was "no admittance" inside. As soon as it was known that ladies were in waiting, an officer came out, and our gentleman attendant told him our business, and asked him if we could go in. He replied, "Oh, yes; I'll take the ladies in, but I can't take you in:" A signal rap, and the door was opened just sufficient to crowd through, and immediately closed after us. And such a scene! The soldiers were amusing themselves in every imaginable "innocent" way. Some were stretched on benches to get a few moments' rest; some were talking and laughing; others seemed sober and thoughtful; while in one corner of the room a company of a dozen or more were singing." Dixie" at the top of their voices, which had scarcely ended when a crowd in another part of the room struck up

"I am going home to die no more."

We found the object of our search, and after a few moments' conversation we took an affectionate farewell of him and hurried to our homes.

Early on the morning of the 21st they left Boston for the seat of war.

April 21. Steamers Baltic, with the New York Twelfth Regiment, the R. R. Cuyler, with the Eleventh, the Columbia, with the Sixth Regiment on board, accompanied by the Harriet Lane, with sealed orders, left New York at six o'clock in the evening.

The regiments marched down Broadway about one o'clock, embarking at two o'clock. The scene on Broadway and at the piers defies description. Probably from four to five hundred thousand people witnessed their departure, perfectly wild with joyful and patriotic enthusiasm, though tinctured with sorrow by relatives.

The Rhode Island regiment, under command of Governor Sprague, one thousand strong, arrived in the morning, and left in the Coalzacoalcos at sundown.

The harbor was the scene of great excitement as the fleet left. All the piers, landings, and house-tops in New York, Jersey City, Hoboken, and Brooklyn, and the Battery, were crowded with people, and thousands of boats filled with people saluted them as they steamed down the bay. Flags were dipped, cannons roared, bells rang, and steam-whistles shrilly saluted, and thousands sent up cheers of parting.

Over four thousand men left New York on that day for the seat of war. From this date, for many days, troops were rapidly pouring in for Washington, Annapolis, and Fortress Monroe.

The United States Branch Mint at Charlotte, N. C., was seized by the rebels.

April 22. Governor Hicks sent a communication to the President, urging the withdrawal of troops from Maryland, a cessation of hostilities, and a reference of the

national dispute to the arbitrament of Lord Lyons. Secretary (of State) Seward replied, that the troops must pass through Maryland, and that our troubles could not be "referred to any foreign arbitrament."

General Robert G. Lee was appointed by the Virginia convention "commander of the military and naval forces. of Virginia."

The rebel general, Gideon J. Pillow, sent a message to Parson Brownlow, inviting him to act as chaplain to his brigade, to which he received the following "spicy' reply:

[ocr errors]

"KNOXVILLE, April 22, 1861. "GEN. GIDEON J. PILLOW: -I have just received your message, through Mr. Sale, requesting me to serve as chaplain to your brigade in the Southern army; and in the spirit of kindness in which this request is made, but in all candor, I return for an answer, that when I shall have made up my mind to go to hell, I will cut my throat and go direct, and not travel round by the way of the Southern Confederacy.


"I am very respectfully, &c.,


A correspondent writing from Knoxville, under date of April 24, says :

"The house of the celebrated, bold-hearted, and outspoken Parson Brownlow is the only one in Knoxville over which the stars and stripes are floating. A few days ago two armed secessionists went at six o'clock in the morning to haul down the stars and stripes. Miss Brownlow, a brilliant young lady of twenty-three, saw them on the piazza, and stepped out and demanded their business. They replied they had come to take down them stars and stripes.' She instantly drew a revolver from her side, and presenting it, said, 'Go on! I'm good for one of you, and I think for both!"


By the look of that girl's eye she'll shoot,' one re

marked. 'I think we'd better not try it; we'll go back and get more men,' said the other.

"Go and get more men,' said the noble lady; 'get more men and come and take it down, if you dare!'

"They returned with a company of ninety armed men, and demanded that the flag should be hauled down. But on discovering that the house was filled with gallant men, armed to the teeth, who would rather die as dearly as possible than see their country's flag dishonored, the secessionists retired."

The common council of New York passed an order appropriating $1,000,000 to equip volunteers and provide for their families.

April 23. General Butler took military possession of the Annapolis and Elk River Railroad.

At a flag-raising at Newburyport, a large American eagle was seen hovering over the assemblage. The omen was hailed with cheers. After which the large concourse assembled joined in singing "America."

The first regiment of South Carolina volunteers left Charleston for the seat of war on the Potomac.

April 24. Governor Magoffin, of Kentucky, issued a proclamation calling on the State to place herself in a condition of defence.

April 25. Fort Smith, in Arkansas, seized by rebels, under Solon Borland.

Major Sibley surrendered four hundred and fifty United States troops to the rebel Col. Van Dorn, at Saluria, Texas.

The Maryland legislature met at Frederick. General Butler stated that if they passed an ordinance of secession he would arrest the entire body. Governor Letcher, of Virginia, issued a proclamation announcing the transfer of the State to the government of the Southern Confederacy.

Senator Douglas made a speech before the Illinois

legislature, urging immediate action in support of the government.

April 26. Governor Brown, of Georgia, issued a proclamation prohibiting the payment of Northern debts till the end of hostilities, and directing the payment of the money into the State treasury, to help defray the expenses of the war.

More bridges were burned near Baltimore, on the Philadelphia road.

April 27. General Scott was authorized by the President to suspend the writ of habeas corpus in the military district between Washington and Philadelphia, if found necessary to the public safety. Many Southerners employed in the departments at Washington resigned and left for the South, refusing to take the oath of allegiance. A steamer loaded with powder for the rebels was seized at Cairo.

The President issued a proclamation extending the blockade to the ports of Virginia and North Carolina.

While too much cannot be said in praise of the volunteers, from all parts of the country, their patriotic spirit and energy, yet Massachusetts troops seem to have a decided advantage in some respects over all others. They have so many apt and experienced mechanics among them, that they find no difficulty in laying down rails, building bridges, or running trains.

It was a fortunate dispensation that took Gen. Butler to Annapolis. His shrewd mind at once comprehended the importance of the position, and he set to work to make it secure. Not until that work was accomplished, did he allow troops to go forward. The malice of the secessionists was in one instance successfully baffled. The railroad men, besides taking up the rails, had done considerable damage to the rolling stock. Gen. Butler sent a party, apparently unarmed, to the car-shop, who were met by the workmen, who refused them admittance.

« AnteriorContinuar »