Imágenes de páginas

The eighth car was treated in the same manner, but the ninth car, apparently being empty, or at least no person being visible, escaped only with one stone. The crowd exulted in their work, exclaiming that Black Republicans should not pass through Maryland. A lapse of five minutes succeeded, a number of respectable persons meanwhile urging the crowd to tear up the track. After the first train passed, one was observed on the Pratt Street bridge, when the anchors were dragged on the track at the corner of Gay Street, and part of the track taken up. Observing this, the cars were turned back to President Street depot, and the troops disembarked and prepared to march through the streets. Mayor Brown with a number of police appeared at their head and led the way. They came away at a brisk pace, and when they reached Centre Market Square, an immense concourse of people closed in behind them, and commenced stoning them. When they reached Gay Street, where the track had been taken up, a large crowd of men, armed with paving-stones, showered them on their heads with such force that several of them were knocked down in the ranks. After lying a few minutes they crowded into the stores on Pratt Street. At the corner of South and Pratt Streets, a man fired a pistol into the ranks of the militia, when those in the rear ranks immediately wheeled and fired upon their assailants, and several were wounded. The guns of the soldiers that had fallen wounded were seized and fired upon the ranks with fatal effect. In two or three instances, after reaching Culvert Street, the troops succeeded in checking their pursuers by rapid fire, which brought down two or three, and were not much molested until they reached Howard Street, where another large crowd was assembled. Some stones were thrown at them, but their guns were not loaded, and they passed on, through a dense crowd, down Howard Street towards the depot.

The scene on Pratt Street was of a most startling character; the wounded soldiers, three in number, were taken up carefully, and carried to places of safety by citizens. Along the street at the Camden station, where trains leave for Washington, there was assembled a large detachment of police under direction of Marshal Kane. It soon appeared that orders were given to clear the tracks near the main depot building. This was done, and soon after a large passenger car of the Philadelphia Railroad came up at a rapid rate, filled with soldiers. This car was soon followed by about sixteen more, all occupied by troops. Upon inquiry it was ascertained they consisted of the Sixth Regiment of Massachusetts Infantry, in all eleven companies, with an aggregate of eight hundred and sixty men.

As soon as the train arrived, some of the troops were compelled to change cars, when they were hooted at by the crowd, which made no overt act. Several young men appeared at one of the cars and displayed revolvers, whereupon the captain of one of the companies drew hist sword and declared he would protect his men. Many expected the train would start immediately, but it did not move until half-past twelve, a delay being occasioned by the fact that President Garrett had received information that a large crowd of excited men had determined to tear up the track and blow up the bridges, and thereby prevent the passage of the trains.

In a few minutes after the train left, a discharge of firearms attracted the attention of the crowd to the corner of Pratt and Howard Streets, where a body of infantry from one of the Northern States,.about one hundred and fifty strong, was seen rapidly approaching the depot, and no doubt anxious to reach the cars. The excitement was beyond description, and a man displaying a flag of the Confederate States seemed to be the rallying point for the people. Some assaulted the infantry with

stones, when a number of the latter discharged their muskets. At least twenty shots were fired, but as far as learned no person was injured. Whilst they were entering the cars, a crowd of young men gave them several volleys of bricks and stones, some of which demolished a car window, whereupon three or four muskets were pointed through the car windows and fired, but no one was injured. The train with the second detachment left at a quarter past one, being stoned as they left.

The city was in tremendous excitement. Martial law was proclaimed, and the military rushed to their armories. Parties were roaming the streets armed with guns and pistols. Stores closed and business suspended. Everybody in a state of dread. A party of the mob rushed into the telegraph office and cut the wires, but they were soon repaired. Squads paraded the streets, fully armed, on the lookout for military from the North. A town meeting was called in Monument Square, at four o'clock in the afternoon, which was attended by an immense crowd. The State flag was hoisted. Mayor Brown said he was opposed to the call of the President, in spirit and object, but as Maryland was still in the Union, he had exerted himself to his utmost ability to protect the passage of troops through the city. He, however, felt that this should not be, and had telegraphed to the President urging that no more troops be sent through.

Gov. Hicks was sent for, and said he was opposed to secession, but the right of revolution could not be disputed.

Speeches were made by Messrs. Teakle, Wallis, W. P. Preston and others, justifying the people of Baltimore, and declaring that no Northern troops should invade their soil to subjugate and make war on their brethren of the South.

Late in the evening, General Butler telegraphed Governor Andrew the intelligence of his own arrival, with

the command of Col. Munroe, at Philadelphia; confirming the rumor that Col. Jones had been attacked in the streets of Baltimore, that two Massachusetts men were killed, and several wounded, and adds, "Troops fought manfully. No man offered to run. They bore the attack with the utmost patience, until prominent citizens of Baltimore told them to fire. They did so. Part of the mob responded with fire, the rest scattered. All have arrived at Washington except six injured, who are well cared for at Baltimore."

A dispatch from Washington, April 19, says:

"The Massachusetts troops arrived this evening, and are quartered in the Capitol. Several of them were wounded in Baltimore and sent to the infirmary, while others who were less injured in that city are on duty with their comrades."

At half-past two o'clock, a. M., the following dispatch was sent by His Excellency the Governor to the Mayor of Baltimore:

BOSTON, April 20, 1861.


"To His Honor the Mayor:-I pray you to cause the bodies of our Massachusetts soldiers dead in Baltimore to be immediately laid out, preserved with ice, and tenderly sent forward by express to me. All expenses will be paid by this Commonwealth.


"Governor of Massachusetts."

At half past nine o'clock, A. M., after a correspondence between the Governor and Messrs. Gardner Brewer & Co. of this city, which reflects honor on the intelligent benevolence of that firm, they sent the following dispatch to their correspondents in Baltimore: —

"Messrs. Mills, Mayhew & Co., Baltimore:

"We telegraph to you at the request and in behalf of

Governor Andrew of this State. Will you co-operate with the Mayor of Baltimore in securing respectful treatment to the corpses of our dead soldiers, and their being carefully forwarded packed in ice, and particularly we wish you to secure the very best medical attendance and careful nursing to our wounded. We will be responsible to you for all expenses. Nurses can be sent from here if desired. GARDNER BREWER & Co."

At noon the following answer was received from Messrs. Mills, Mayhew & Co:

"We have your telegram, and will attend carefully to your instructions. Nothing is wanted which we cannot furnish."

At two o'clock, P. M., this answer was received by the Governor from the Mayor:

"Hon. John A. Andrew, Governor of Massachusetts:

"SIR-No one deplores the sad events of yesterday in this city more deeply than myself, but they were inevitable. Our people viewed the passage of armed troops to another State through the streets as an invasion of our soil, and could not be restrained. The authorities exerted themselves to the best of their ability, but with only partial success. Governor Hicks was present, and concurs in all my views as to the proceedings now necessary for our protection.

"When are these scenes to be ceased? Are we to have a war of sections! God forbid !

"The bodies of the Massachusetts soldiers could not be sent on to Boston as you requested, all communication between this city and Philadelphia by railroad and with Boston steamers having ceased; but they have been placed in cemented coffins, and will be placed with proper funeral ceremonies in the mausoleum of Green Mount Cemetery, where they shall be retained until further di

« AnteriorContinuar »