Imágenes de páginas

history of its own. We give the records of the 2d regiment as far as they have been obtainable.


This battery attained its maximum number December 11, 1861, at Cape Girardeau, Missouri, and was mustered into the United States service on the same day. Its roster was as follows:

[ocr errors]

Captain, John W. Powell; Senior 1st Lieutenant, Michael Dittlinger; Junior 1st Lieutenant, Christian D. Bless; Senior 2d Lieutenant, Gustavus A. Tirmenstein ; Junior 2d Lieutenant, Joseph W. Mitchell.



[ocr errors]



By order of General Grant this battery took charge of Fort B, nearly three months before the completion of the company. The fort mounted six twenty-four-pounder siege guns. On the 1st day of January, 1862, a portion of the Company was detailed by order of Colonel L. F. Ross, commanding post at Cape Girardeau, Missouri, to guard and command four twenty-four-pounder siege guns at Fort A. On the 9th of February, by order of General Grant, six six-pounder guns were transferred to the company, forming a field battery. March 14th, it marched to Bird's Point, Missouri, from thence to Pittsburg Landing, Tennessee. On the 2d of April, hy order of General Grant, the battery was assigned to General W. H. L. Wallace, commanding a Brigade in the 6th Division, stationed at Shiloh. On the morning of April 6th it was ordered to form in line of battle on the left. In obedience to orders it marched and engaged the enemy at about two miles from the Tennessee River. The battle raged fiercely all day. The battery fired its last shot about six o'clock P. M., having lost twenty-seven horses and two guns. On the 14th of April, 1862, it took up the line of march for Corinth, Mississippi. One section of the battery was engaged in the battle of Corinth, Mississippi, October 3 and 4, 1862. Section No. 2 at that date was at Bolivar, Tennessee. The battery was at the siege of Vicksburg. It engaged in a scout from Natchez, Mississippi, to Liberty, Louisiana, and in General Sherman's Meridian raid. One section was engaged in the fight on the Hatchie. The battery moved from Vicksburg to Cairo by boat, thence to Clifton, Tennessee, and marched from Clifton to Allatoona and Kenesaw Mountain. It en. gaged in the fight at Kenesaw Mountain, and in the fight of the 22d



[ocr errors]
[merged small][ocr errors]


of July, 1864, before Atlanta, where it lost one Lieutenant and 32 men killed and missing. It passed through the siege of Atlanta, and marched to Jonesboro. It was in the fight of Jonesboro and afterwards returned to Atlanta. It followed in pursuit of Hood after his re-crossing the Chattahoochee. It served in the båttle at Nashville, Tennessee.

The battery served in the 4th Division, 17th Army Corps, Department of the Tennessee, from the organization of the division. On the 9th of July, 1865, it was ordered to Springfield, Illinois, where it was mustered out July 27.


This battery was organized during the months of November and December, 1861, and January, 1862. Its roster was as follows:

Captain, Andrew Stenbeck; Senior 1st Lieutenant, Edwin H. Smith; Junior 1st Lieutenant, Henry C. Whittemore; Senior 2d Lieutenant, Horatio N. Towner; Junior 2d Lieutenant, Jonas Eckdall.

On the 6th of February, 1862, the battery moved to Cairo, Illinois, and was stationed opposite Cairo, near Fort Holt. February 9th, one section of the battery moved to Fort Donelson. It returned after the surrender of the place. It moved to Columbus, Kentucky, on the day succeeding the evacuation of that place by the enemy. One section moved to the siege of Fort Pillow, under Brigadier-General Quimby, returning to Columbus, Kentucky. One section was sent to Henderson, Kentucky, and went in pursuit of Morgan's cavalry, returning to Columbus. August 18th, one section marched to Smithland, Kentucky. August 30th, the remaining section moved to Fort Heiman, Kentucky. September 4th, one section was sent to Clarksville, Tennessee, returning to Fort Hieman, December 20th. One section moved in pursuit of Forrest, near “Parker's Cross Roads,” Tennessee. March 8, 1863, the battery moved to Fort Donelson. On the 26th of August, it was sent to Clarksville, Tennessee. January 1, 1864, sixty-five men re-enlisted as veterans, and on the 5th of March received furloughs for thirty days. April 9th, the battery returned to Clarksville, Tennessee. During the summer of 1864, the men were mounted and armed as cavalry, and were occupied in scouting and


repairing telegraph wires between the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers, and on the Edgefield and Kentucky Railroad. On the 8th of August, it engaged the enemy under General Adam Johnson, at Canton and Rock Castle Ford, Kentucky. Subsequently it was in garrison at Clarksville, Tennessee. July 15, 1865, under the provisions of General Order No. 155 from the War Department, the battery was sent to Springfield, Illinois, for muster out.



This battery was organized at Camp Butler, December 31, 1861, with the following roster:

Captain, Benjamin F. Rodgers; Senior 1st Lieutenant, Francis M. Ross; Junior 1st Lieutenant, Abel S. Gale; Senior 2d Lieutenant, Wesley Pratt; Junior 2d Lieutenant, John Pyatt.

The battery moved to Cairo, thence to Columbus, Kentucky, in the month of March, 1862. It remained at Columbus during the bombardment of Island No. 10. One section was sent to Fort Pila low during the bombardment of that place, in June, 1862. After the fall of Fort Pillow, the battery was ordered to Memphis, where it remained until August, and then was ordered back to Columbus. In the month of October įt accompanied an expedition under cominand of Captain Rodgers from New Madrid, Missouri, to Clarkston, Missouri, which was surprised and destroyed, being occupied at the time by about three hundred rebels under Colonel Clarke, of guerrilla notoriety. In November the battery was ordered to Memphis, where it was assigned to the 4th Division of the 16th Army Corps, with which it marched, November 26th, from Memphis to join Grant's army, then moving south from Lagrange. It proceeded as far south as Yocna, Mississippi, when the division moved north to the Mem. phis and Charleston Railroad, where it remained doing guard duty until February, 1863, when it was ordered to Memphis. The baltery left Memphis for Vicksburg, May 14th. One section accompanied a cavalry expedition from Haines’ Bluff to Yazoo City, and met the enemy at Mechanicsburg, Mississippi, where, after a severe engagement of a few minutes, our forces were compelled to retirey and returned to Vicksburg. After the fall of Vicksburg it proceeded to Jackson, Mississippi, and after the evacuation of that place returned


[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]
[merged small][ocr errors]


again to Vicksburg. August 20th it moved to Natchez, Mississippi, where it remained until October, 1864, when it was ordered to report at Vicksburg, where it arrived early in November, and was mounted as horse artillery, and accompanied a cavalry expedition to Yazoo City. It returned to Vicksburg after destroying a vast amount of rebel property. It arrived at Memphis, December 11th, and remained there till July 6, 1865, when it was ordered to Chicago to be discharged, arriving July 11th, and was mustered out of the United States service July 14, 1865.


BATTERY L, SECOND ILLINOIS ARTILLERY. This battery-originally known as “Bolton's Battery”—was organized at Chicago, and mustered into the service February 28, 1862, with the following roster :

Captain, William H. Bolton ; Senior 1st Lieutenant, Jabez H. Moore; Junior 1st Lieutenant, Edward A. James; Senior 2d Lieutenant, Simon P. Tracy ; Junior 2d Lieutenant, Julius D. Roberts.

The battery left Chicago in March, 1862, and went to Benton Barracks, St. Louis. From there it took the field at Shiloh, on the 9th of April, 1862, and participated in the siege of Corinth, in General S. A. Hurlbut’s division, and after the evacuation of that place, marched to Memphis with Sherman's command, the 4th and 5th divisions, and was at the occupying of that city by the United States forces in August, 1862; was engaged at Noncomo Creek, in October following, and was selected to make the attack by Major-General Hurlbut at the battle of the Hatchie, where it captured a stand of rebel colors, which was given to the city of Chicago. It marched with Grant in Logan's division, on his campaign through Mississippi, by way of the Tallahatchie and Water Valley, in December, 1862. When Holly Springs was destroyed by the enemy, it again returned to Memphis, and accompanied Grant's army to Lake Providence, Louisiana, and Milliken's Bend. It crossed the Mississippi, and was engaged in the campaigns around and against Vicksburg; it commenced with the siege, and was forty-seven days in the trenches. After the fall of Vicksburg, it again commenced the campaign in Louisiana, under Brigadier-General Leggett, and marched after General McCullough to Monroe, from where it returned to Vicksburg. The old guns being worn out, Major-General McPherson supplied it with new armament, and everything new and complete. In June, 1864, it fought under McArthur at Benton and Gleesonville, and in July under Major-General Slocum at Clinton and Jackson, Mississippi, which ended its active operations in the field. From that time until its muster out, about the 1st of August, 1865, it was assigned to the defences of Vicksburg. It was then sent to Chicago for payment and final discharge. At that time its officers -all from the ranks--were as follows:

Captain, Thaddeus C. Hulaniski; Senior 1st Lieutenant, Daniel H. Pierce; Junior 1st Lieutenant, George C. Wise ; Senior 2d Lieutenant, Levi B. Wightman ; Junior 2d Lieutenant, James Cunningham ; Ist Sergeant, John Hivne ; Quartermaster's Ser. geant, Charles F. Smale.

At the date of leaving the service, it mustered 130 men, of over 450 who had been on its rolls from its organization.


[ocr errors]



This battery was mustered into the service at Camp Butler, June 6, 1862. The following is the original roster: .

Captain, John C. Phillips; Senior 1st Lieutenant, Edward G. Hillier; Junior 1st Lieutenant, George W. Reed; Senior 2d Lieutenant, W.C. G. L. Stevenson.

Battery M left for the field July 16, 1862, and arrived at Camp Wool, Martinsburg, Virginia, on the 24th. August 24th, two sec tions, under Captain Phillips, supported by two companies of the 12th Illinois cavalry, were ordered to Darkesville, where Ashby's (rebel) cavalry were stationed, and routed them. On the 12th of September the battery was ordered to Harper's Ferry, and was present in the fight which resulted in the surrender of that place by Colonel Miles. The men were paroled and sent to Camp Douglas, Chicago, where the battery was refitted.

On the 12th of May, 1863, the battery was ordered to report to General Burnside at Cincinnati, and joined in his expedition into East Tennessee. It engaged the enemy at Cumberland Gap, Blue Springs, Raytown, Lick Creek Bridge, Carter Station, Zollicoffer, Blountville and Rogersville. At the latter place, on the 6th of November, it was surprised by three rebel brigades, and fought without support for three hours, when a retreat was ordered. The guns



[ocr errors]
« AnteriorContinuar »