Imágenes de páginas

tle of Franklin it was on the left wing, in sight of the town. Arriv. ing at Nashville, the 14th turned over its remaining horses to other regiments, and in the battle at that place served on foot, performing important service. It then joined in the pursuit of Bragg’s retreating forces, returning to Nashville, where it remained till April 1, 1865, when it was ordered to Pulaski. Here it remained until July 31st, when it was mustered out of service.

While the regiment was at Nashville, Colonel Capron and Lieutenant-Colonel Jenkins resigned, and Major Davidson was promoted to the Colonelcy, Major Quigg being appointed Lieutenant-Colonel. Captains Dent, Connelly, Jenkins and Sanford received Majors commissions.

The aggregate of all the marches by the regiment in force was 10,000 miles. This is exclusive of marches by detachments.

MAJOR WM. McCULLOUGH (FOURTH CAVALRY). William McCullough was born in Kentucky, on the 11th of September, 1812. His father, Peter McCullough, removed with his family to Illinois in the fall of 1826, and settled at Dug Grove, McLean County. William married in 1833, at the age of twenty-one years, and in February, 1840, lost his right arm while working a threshing machine, and in August of that year removed to Bloomington. In 1841, he was elected to the office of Sheriff of McLean County, and held the same for six years—an evidence of his popularity among those who knew him best. In 1848, he was elected Clerk of the Circuit Court; which office he held until August, 1861, when he entered the army as Major of the 4th Illinois cavalry. In September, 1861, he was promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel of that regiment.

Colonel McCullough had few equals as an officer. Brave to a fault, his gallantry and kindly qualities of heart won for him the love and esteem of all, both officers and men. His comrades in arms say of him that he never experienced the sensation of fear. He lead his regiment in the bold and daring pursuit of the enemy at Fort Henry, thus early in the war placing himself upon the roll of brave, dashing cavalry officers. The Colonel was always ready for duty, always with his command, and best satisfied with the post of danger and active duty.

[merged small][ocr errors]
[ocr errors]

Colonel McCullough passed, with his regiment, through the battles of Forts Henry and Donelson, Shiloh, the siege of Corinth, falling at the head of his command, pierced by three bullets, each inflicting a mortal wound, on the 5th day of December, 1862, at the battle of Coffeeville, Mississippi. This battle was continued until after dusk, and the rebels succeeded in getting on the flanks of the Federal forces. Coming upon Colonel McCullough, with their bayonets at his breast, demanded his surrender. Knowing that to do so would sacrifice his command, with certain death staring him in the face, the Colonel, with his eagle eye looking into the muzzles of the rebel* muskets, heroically replied, “Never," and instantly fell from his horse a lifeless corpse. That was a rich sacrifice, sanctified by acceptance, upon the altar of patriotism, when Colonel McCullough yielded up his life for his country.



COLONEL JOHN M. SNYDER. Colonel John M. Snyder was bozn in Morgan County, Illinois, on the 11th of January, 1839. In September, 1861, he was appointed Quartermaster of the 6th cavalry, and served until July 1, 1862, during this time serving as Brigade Quartermaster at Paducah, Kentucky. On muster-out, he returned to Jacksonville, and volunteered as a private in the 101st infantry, of which he was appointed Quartermaster. He remained in that position until the spring of 1863, when, at the request of Governor Yates, he was directed to report to him at Springfield. In March he was appointed Aide-de-Camp to the Governor, with the rank of Major. In March, 1864, he was promoted to Colonel, and has since remained on the staffs of Governors Yates and Oglesby. In June, 1864, he was sent by the Governor to visit all United States hospitals where Illinois soldiers might be found, and procure their transfer to hospitals in their own State or to their homes on furlough. This duty he performed in an able, prompt and efficient manner. Colonel Snyder assisted the Governor in the arduous and important labors of organizing the regiments and batteries sent to the field from Illinois, and for the faithful and efficient manner in which he performed these duties he received the warm thanks of Governor Yates, and won the gratitude of Illinois soldiers, who were largely indebted to him for his efforts in their behalf.

[ocr errors]
[blocks in formation]




[ocr errors]


THIS battery was raised by the efforts of the Mercantile Associa

1 tion of Chicago, who paid large bounties to its members. It was organized at Camp Douglas, and on the 25th of August, 1862, mustered into the United States service, with the following roster:

Captain, Charles G. Cooley; Senior 1st Lieutenant, Frank C. Wilson ; Junior 1st Lieutenant, James H. Swan ; Senior 2d Lieutenant, David R. Crego; Junior 2d Lieutenant, Frederick B. Bickford.


Shortly after the muster in, the battery started for the front, being then 152 strong. It first went to Memphis, where it remained for a short time, and then started, under Sherman, on the expedition against Oxford, Mississippi. Having accomplished the object of the expedition, which was to drive the rebels out of Oxford, it returned to Memphis. Here it remained for a few weeks, and again started out with Sherman on the first attack against Vicksburg. It remained in the famous Yazoo swamps six days, took part in the battle of Chickasaw Bayou, and departed from Vicksburg on New Year's Day,


[merged small][ocr errors]
[ocr errors]

1863, one section of the battery covering the retreat of the army to the boats on Yazoo River. Embarking in transports, it next proceeded to Arkansas Post, and took an active part in the engagements of the 11th and 12th of January, which resulted in the surrender of that place. It performed such gallant services on that occasion, that in general orders it was highly complimented by General Osterhaus, and publicly thanked before the whole army. After this it went to Young's Point, Louisiana, directly opposite Vicksburg, and there remained until the following spring, and next went to Milliken’s Bend, from which place it started with Grant on his glorious Vicksburg campaign. Crossing the Mississippi about sixty miles below Vicksburg, it engaged the enemy the same morning, May 1st, in the battle of Magnolia Hills, where it fought furiously all day. Continuing its march toward Vicksburg, it again met the rebels at Champion's Hill, where it had a fearful artillery duel with two of its guns against a rebel eight-gun battery at the short range of three hundred yards. The fighting was very severe, and it lost heavily. On the following: day it had another engagement at Black River Bridge, after which it crossed Black River and advanced against Vicksburg on the 19th of May. On the 22d it made a fearful assault with two guns, which it placed in position without the assistance of horses, within twentyfive feet of the enemy's works, and in the face of a fearfully heavy fire. It held its ground all day, and fought the rebels almost in their very entrenchments, and did not retire until after night had set in. For this and other acts it was specially mentioned by General McClernand in his dispatches. It took part in the whole siege, and a few hours after the surrender, on the 4th of July, it received orders to start at once to meet Johnston, who was rapidly marching with a

[ocr errors]

sissippi, and besieged him for seven days in that place, from which he succeeded in escaping, on the night of the 16th, by crossing the river. It returned to Vicksburg, remained there in camp for a short time, and then went to New Orleans. We next find it in Franklin's expedition into Texas, but it had only gone a short distance when it was ordered back to the Crescent City. In January, 1864, it was ordered into Texas, and went as far as Du Croix, where it remained until March. It had all along from the Jackson affair been attached

to General A. J. Smith's division of the 3d Army Corps, and from this it was transferred to General Ransom's division, and went with it on Banks' Red River expedition. On the 8th of April it had a very severe fight at Sabine Cross Roads, where it lost all its guns, but that they were not lost dishonorably is evident from the fact that all of the officers, excepting Lieutenant Roe, were lost-two being killed, and two captured—while of the men, four were killed, nine wounded, and eighteen captured. Being thus fearfully cut up, and without guns, the battery was ordered back to New Orleans, where it went into camp to recruit and procure new guns. This being done, it again left New Orleans, on November 1st, with General Davidson, and marched over three hundred miles to destroy the Mobile and Ohio Railroad, but instead of doing so, went from Baton Rouge to Pascagoula, where it remained for a short time, and again went to New Orleans. Returning to Baton Rouge, it remained for a little time, and back to New Orleans it again went, so that it saw enough of the Crescent City. It remained there until June, 1865, when it received the welcome order to leave for home. With as little delay as possible it started, and arrived in Chicago July 3d, where it received a glorious reception from the Mercantile Association and other friends.

While in the field it was recruited several times, and at muster out numbered 130 men, of whom only thirty-five were originally members of the company.


[ocr errors]
[ocr errors][merged small]

This battery was organized at Elgin, Kane County, and mustered into service November 15, 1862, with the following roster :

Captain, George W. Renwick; Senior 1st Lieutenant, Andrew M. Wood; Junior 1st Lieutenant, Caleb Rich ; Senior 2d Lieutenant, Lorin G, Jeffers; Junior 2d Lieutenant, Wald, W. Paine,

The battery left Chicago in November, 1862, and was for a time engaged in chasing guerrillas in Kentucky. It formed a part of Burnside's expedition to Tennessee, and was with the cavalry corps in that campaign. It was near Colvin's battery (Battery K, 1st Artillery), and shared its honors until Sherman reached Savannah on his great march. It was then ordered around to meet and join his

« AnteriorContinuar »