Imágenes de páginas

PERSONS intending to be married in duly Registered Wesleyan Chapels, will find, in Section II., pages 125-131, the necessary directions for their guidance in this matter.





BEFORE a Marriage can be solemnized in a Chapel, the Chapel must be duly Registered for that purpose by the Regis trar-General of Births, Deaths, and Marriages. (6 & 7 W. IV. c. 85, s. 18.)

No Wesleyan Chapel can be Registered unless it be,

1. A Separate Building.

2. Certified according to Law as a place of Religious Worship.

1. It must be a Separate Building. It need not be a detached building; but must be a building separately used for Public Religious Worship, and not merely part of another building, as a room in a house or the like; but it may be also used as a Sunday-School, and for the other purposes for which Wesleyan Chapels are usually used.

2. It must be Certified according to Law, as a place of Religious Worship. Unless it be clearly ascertained that the place has been so certified, it will be prudent to Certify it under Statute 52 Geo. III. c. 155, before applying to the RegistrarGeneral to Register the Chapel.

3. The Chapel must be Registered for Marriages by the Registrar-General. The mode of obtaining such Registration is as follows::

Any Trustee or Proprietor of such a Separate Certified Chapel may apply to the Superintendent-Registrar of the Registration District in which the Chapel is situate; and the Superintendent-Registrar will deliver to him two forms of a Certificate, (both alike,) each to be signed by twenty householders at

* The following Directions relate to the Solemnization of Marriages in WESLEYAN CHAPELS ONLY, and not to any other Building or Place whatsoever.

the least, certifying that the building is a separate building, that it has been used by them during one year at least, as their usual place of Public Religious Worship, and that they are desirous that such place should be Registered for the Solemnization of Marriages.

The Trustee or Proprietor applying, must then obtain the Signatures of at least twenty such householders to each of the Certificates. The same twenty householders must sign both the Certificates. The Trustee or Proprietor applying must also countersign them both himself; and must deliver them both, so signed and countersigned, to the Superintendent Registrar, and must, at the same time, pay him Three Pounds, and no more.

Fee £3.

The Superintendent-Registrar will then send both the Certificates to the Registrar-General at the General Register Office in London, who will Register the Chapel in a book kept there for that purpose. He will then write the date of the Registry on the back of each of the householders' Certificates, one of which he will keep, and will send the other back to the Superintendent-Registrar of the Registration District wherein. the Chapel is situate; who, on receiving it, must enter the date of the Registry as written by the Registrar-General on the back of it, in a book kept in his Office for that purpose. He will then make, on a piece of parchment or vellum, a Certificate of such Registry, which he will himself sign, and will deliver it to the Trustee or Proprietor of the Chapel, who delivered the householders' Certificates to him. The Superintendent-Registrar must also give Notice, that the Chapel has been Registered for Marriages, by advertising the same in some Newspaper circulating in the County; and also in the "London Gazette."

No further Fee will be payable than the above-mentioned Three Pounds, which covers the whole expense of the Registration, including the Advertisements.

NOTE.-It will be seen from the above directions, that where the Chapel is private property, the "Proprietor," and, where it is settled upon Trustees, one "Trustee" at least, must join in the application for Registering the Chapel.


If any Chapel Registered for solemnizing Marriages therein shall afterwards be disused for the Public Religious Worship of the Congregation on whose behalf it was Registered, the Regis

trar-General, on that fact being made to appear to his satisfaction, shall cause the Registry thereof to be cancelled; after which it will not be lawful to solemnize any Marriage therein until it shall have been again Registered, as at first. (6 & 7 W. IV. c. 85, s. 19.)

In case of a Registered Chapel belonging to any other Denomination of Protestants being purchased for a Wesleyan Chapel, if it be intended to solemnize Marriages therein, it must be Registered anew, unless the "same Congregation" continue to occupy it; but as that may always be a matter of doubt, it is recommended that in all such cases a new Registration be obtained in the manner before directed.



If a Registered Chapel become disused, and another be substituted for it, the substituted Chapel may be Registered for Marriages forthwith, without waiting till it shall have been occupied for a year, as in case of an Original Registration; but the same application must be made by a Trustee or Proprietor of the substituted Chapel,-Certificates obtained and signed by twenty householders and the Trustee or Proprietor applying,-the same fee of £3 must be paid, and the same proceedings in every respect taken, as in the case of an Original Registration, for which directions have been already given, pages 123, 124; and in this case the Certificates of Application for the Registry of the substituted building must also embody a request that the Registry of the disused Chapel may be cancelled.




I. NOTICE to the Superintendent-Registrar.

WHEN parties intend to be married under this Act, whether by Licence or Certificate, one of them must give to the SuperintendentRegistrar of the Registration District in which they have dwelt for not less than seven days next preceding, a Notice in writing signed by him or her, of their intention to marry. If both parties have not dwelt for the last seven days in the same District, the like

Notice must in that case be given to the Superintendent-Registrar of both the Districts in which they have severally dwelt for the last seven days. The Notice or Notices must either be given personally to the Superintendent-Registrar, or, if delivered by the hand of another, or through the post, satisfactory evidence must be given to the Superintendent-Registrar, if he require it, that the signature is that of the person professing to give the Notice, otherwise the Superintendent-Registrar will be justified in refusing to receive it.

Every Superintendent-Registrar keeps blank forms of Notices by him, which on application he will allow the party to fill up, or will himself fill up on the proper information being given to him. The Notice, when filled up, must contain the following particulars :

1. The name, or names, and surname of each party, written at full length.

2. The condition of each, whether Bachelor or Spinster, Widower or Widow.

3. The rank, profession, trade, or calling.

4. The age of each: thus, "of full age," or " Minor," as the case may be; but it is better to state the exact age.

5. The name or number of the house, and name of the street, or name of the village or place, in which each party then resides.

6. The length of residence (being not less than seven days) in the District. If not more than a month, state the number of days. If more than a calendar month, state more than a month."

7. The name of the Chapel in which the Marriage is to be solemnized.

8. The District and County in which the other party resides, when the parties dwell in different Districts.

9. The Notice must be signed by the party giving it, and dated the same day. A party who cannot write may sign by making a cross x. This Notice must be left with the Superintendent-Registrar, who will forthwith copy it into his Marriage-Notice Book, and file it in his Office, and will be entitled to a fee of one shilling. When the parties reside in different Districts, as a Notice must be given in each, two fees will be payable, namely, one shilling in each District.



If there be not within the District in which one of the Parties dwells, any Registered Building in which Marriage is solemnized according to the Form, Rite, or Ceremony of the Wesleyan Methodists, the party intending Marriage may, at the time of

« AnteriorContinuar »