« AnteriorContinuar »
were given unto him of my Father. 66. Ti hat time many of his disciples went back, and
with him. 67. Then said Jesus ae twelve, Will ye also go away? 68. Then Siter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou em words of eternal life. 69. And n we believe, and that thou art that Christ the Son of the living God. is answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, of you is a P devil? 71. He spake of Judas Iscariot, f Simon; for he it was that should betray him, bele of the twelve.
CH A P. VII. TER these things, Jesus walked in Galilee: for he would not walk in Jewry, because the Jews ' sought him.
2. Now the Jews feast of s tabernacles was at 3.
His a brethren therefore said unto him, Depart and go into Judea, that thy disciples also may lee rks that thou doft.
For there is no man that doth ing in secret, and he himself seeketh to be known o
if thou do these things , Thew thy self to the world. a neither did his brethren believe in him. 6. Then said unto them, My time is not yet come: but
your 1. 2. 8. By Grace ye are sa done these things on the Sabbath'ough Faith; and that not Day. Therefore the Jews fought : felves : it is the Gift of the more to kill him, because he Phil. 1. 29. Unto you it is not only had broken the Sabbath, 1 the behalf of Christ, not s but said also that God was his Fabelieve on him, but also to ther, making himself equal with for his fake. See the Note God.
$ * Lev. 23. 34. Speak unto the A&S 5. 20. Go, stand and Children of Ifrael, saying, the in the Temple to the Peo-10 Fifteenth Day of the seventh 11 the Words of this Life.
Month shall be the Feast of TaberJoh. 1. 49. Joh. 11. 27. nacles for seven Days unto the 1 Mat. 16. 16.
"Lord. Luk. 6. 13. When it was u + Mar. 3.31. | Act. 1. 14. be called unto him his Dir See on Mar. 12. 46.
15 : and of them he chose Twelve,
a + Mar. 3. 21.
When his n also he named Apostles.
Friends heard of it, they went out · 44 Ye are of your Fa to lay hold on him : for they said, the Devil, and the Lufts of He is beside himself. Father ye will do
+ Jch. 2. 4. Joh. 13. 27. After the Sop,
-Mine Hour is not yet come. n entred into him.
:: Joh. 8. 20. -No Man laid iands Joh. s. 16, 18. Therefore on him, for his Hour was not the Jews perfecute Jesus, and
yet come. ** to lay him, because he had 25
1. A BOM
your time is alway ready. 7. The world cannot (1) hate you; but me it hateth, because I o teftifie of it, that the works thereof arę evil. 8. Go ye up unto this feaft: 1go not up yet unto this feast, for my time is not yet full
9. When he had said these Words unto them, he abode still in Galilee. 10. But when his brethren were gone up, then went he also up unto the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret. 11. Then the Jews the feast, and said, Where is he? 12. And there was much murmuring among the People concerning him : for f some faid, He is a good man: others said, Nay; but he deceiveth the People. 13. How beit, no man spake openly of him a for fear of the Jews. 14. Now about the midst
a † Joh. 15. 19. If ye were of Divifion among them.
+Joh. 10. the World, the world would love 19. There was therefore a Division his own: but becaufe ye are not again among the Jews for these of the World, but I have chosen Sayings. you out of the World, therefore s † Mat. 21. 46. When they the World hateth you.
fought to lay Hands on him, they 6 + Joh. 3. 19. This is the Con- feared the Multitude, because they demnation, that Light is come in took him for a Prophet. Luk. to the World, and Men loved Dark. 7. 16. There came à Fear on all: ness rather than Light, because 10 and they glorified God, faying, their Deeds were evil.
That a great Prophet is risen up 2 * Joh. 8. 20. The Words under
This is Ver. 6.
of a Truth that Prophet that should d of Joh. 11. 56. Then Sought come into the World. Ver. 42. they for Jesus, and spake among 15
3 + Joh. 9. 22. These Words themselves as they stood in the spake his parents, because they Temple, What think ye, that he feared the Jews: for the Jews had will not come to the Feast.
agreed already, that if any Man + Joh. 9. 16. Therefore faid did confess that he was Christ
, he Some of the Pharisees, This Man is 20 should be put out of the Synanot of God, because he keepeth gogue, Joh. 3. 2. The fame came not the Sabbath-day. Others laid, to Jesus by Night.- Joh. 7. 50. How can a Man that is a Sinner do Nicodemus -chat came to Jesus fuch Miracles? And there was a
(1) The seeming Oppofition between these Words, and those refer. red to, will be removed, by observing, that our Lord fpeaks to those, called by the Evangelifts hisBret bren,who did not yet believe in him, Ver.s. They therefore entertaining the fame Opinion of our Lord at this time, with the generality of the World, it is not to be wondred at that they were not hated by it on that Account ; but when they ceased to be of the World, and embraced the fame Sentiments with the rest of his fol. lowers, then they not Conforming to the World, were hated by it. Some suppose those called in the Gospels, the Brethren of our Lord, to be his Cousin Germans; others, that they were the Children of Joseph by former Wife, who died before he was e frouted to the Virgin Mary. See Dr.Whitby on Mat. 13. 55.
of the feast, Jesus went up into the temple, and taught. 15. And the Jews marvelled, saying, " How knoweth this
16. man * letters [Or, learning), having never learned ? Jesus answered them, and laid, My do&trine is riot mine, but his that sent me. 17. If any man will k do his will he . shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of my felf. 18. He that 'speakerh of himself, seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that fent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.
19. m Did not Moses give you the Law, and yet none of you n keepeth the Law? Why go ye about to o kill
me? by Night. † Joh. 12. 42. Neverthe- spoken of my self ; but as the Fa. less
, among the chief Rulers also, ther which sent me, he gave me many believed on him ; but be Commandment what I should do, b, cause of the Pharisees they did not and what I should speak. + Joh.14. confess him, left they should be put s 10, 24. The words which I speak out of the Synagogue. Joh. 19. unto you, I speak not of my self: 38. Joseph of Arimathea (being a but the Father that dwelleth in Disciple of Jesus, but fecretly for me, he doth the Works. The fear of the Jews) besought Pilate Word which you hear is not mine, that he might take away the Body to but the Fathers which fent me. of Jesus. A&. 5. 13. Of the rest
k : Ecclesiasticus 21. II. He Man join himself to that keepeth the Law of the Lord, them, but the People magnified getteth the Understanding there. them. Prov. 29. 25. The Fear of.- Joh. 8. 31, 32, 43: of Man bringeth a Snare, but who- 15 it Joh. 5:41. I receive not Hofo putteth his Truft in the Lord nour from Men.
m * Exod. 24. 3. Moses came "Mat 13. 54. When he was and told all the people all the Words come into his own Country, he
of the Lord, and all the Judgments, taught them in their Synagogues, 20- † Ads 7.35, dc. This Moses insomuch that they were astonish. whom they refused, saying, Who ed, and said, whence hath this Man made thee a Ruler and a Judge ? this Wisdom, and these mighty
the same did God send to be a Rua Works? Mar. 6. 2. When the ler, and a Deliverer, by the Hands
was come, he began to 25 of the Angel which appeared to teach in the Synagogue, and many
him in the Bush, lic. hearing him were astonished, saying, n Mat. 15. 6. Thus have ye From whence hath this Man these made the Commandment of God of Things? and what Wisdom is this none Effect by your Tradition. which is given unto him? 30 Acts 7.53. Who received the Law
* + Joh3. 11. -We speak that by the Disposition of Angels, and We do kron, and testifie that we have not kept it. have seen. Joh. 8. 28, 38.
Joh. 5.16, 18. The Words unAs my Father hath taught me, I
der Ver. 1. t Joh. 10. 39. They speak these Things. I fpeak
that 35 fought again to take him but he have seen with my Fa- escaped out of their Hand. Joh. ther - Joh. 12:49. I have not
shall be safe.
me ? 20. The People answered and said, - Thou hast a de vil: who goeth about to kill thee?
21. Jesus answered and said unto them, I have done one work, and ye all marvel. 22. b Moses therefore gave unto you circumcision, (not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers) and ye on the fabbath-day circumcile a man. 23. If a man on the fabbathday receive circumcision, * that the law of Moses should not be broken [Or, without breaking the law of Moses]; are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit d whole on the fabbath-day? 24. • Judge n0t according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment. 25. Then said some of them of Jerusalem, Is not this he whom they seek to f kill? 26. But lo, he speaketh boldly, and they say nothing unto him: do the rulers know indeed that this is the very Christ? 27. How beit & we know this man whence he is : but when Christ cometh, no man knoweth whence he is. 28. Then cried Jesus in the temple as he taught, faying, Ye both h know me, and (1) ye know whence I am: and I am not come of my self, but he that sent me k is true,
11. 53. From that Day forth, the Causes between your Brethren, they took Counsel together to put and judge righteousy between every him to Death.
Man and his Brother, and the + Joh. 8. 48, 52. † Joh. 10..
+ Joh. 10.. Stranger that is with him. See See on Mat. 9. 34.
son Jam. 2. 1. b * Lev. 12. 3. In the eighth
See on Ver. 19. Day, the Flesh of his Foreskin ihall Et Mar. 13.-55. + Mar. 6. 3. be circumcised.
+ Luk. 4. 22. See on Joh. 6.42. C "Gen. 17. 15. This is my Co h † See Joh. 8. 14. -Ye cannot venant, which
ye shall keep be- 10 tell whence I come, and whither tween me and you, and thy Seed I go. afrer thee ; every Man-child a
+ Joh. 5. 43. I am come in mong you shall be circumcised. my Fathers Name, and ye receive
d † Joh. 5. 8, 9. Rife, take up me not. Joh. 8. 42.thy Bed and walk. And immedi- 15 + Joh. 5. 32. There is another ately the Man was made Whole, and that beareth witness of me, and took up his Bed and walked ; and know that the Witness which he on the same Day was the Sab. witnesseth of me is true.
4. Let God be True, and every Deut. 1 15. I charged your 20 Man a Liar.-- + Joh. 8. 26. Judges at that time, saying, Hear
(1) That is, ye know my Person, Parentage, and Country, but ye not my divine excellency, and descent from Heaven; which reconciles "the seeming Difference between these Words, and those, Joh. 8. 14.
find me :
r Ver. 12.
Lord 32. 385 whom ye ' know not. 29. But m I know him, for I am from him, and he hath sent me. 30. Then they n fought to take him : but ° 110 man laid hands on him, because his hour was not yet come.
31. And. P many of the People believed on him, and said, When Christ cometh, will he do 4 more miracles than these which this man hath done? 32. | The Pharisees heard that the People murmured * such things concerning him: s and the Pharisees and the chief Priests sent Officers to take him. 33. Then said Jesus unto them, Yet a " little while am I with you, and then I go unto him that sent me. 34. Ye fhall * seek me, and shall not
and where I am, thither ye cannot come. 35. Then said the Jews among themselves, Whither will he
gog that we shall not find him? will he go unto the difperted
among + Joh. 1. 18. No Man hath God did by him in the midst of feen God at any time; the only you, as ye yourselves also know. begotten Son which is in the Bosom of the Father, he hath de Joh. II. 47. Then gathered clared him. Joh. 8. 55
s the chief Priests and Pharisees a m † Mat. 11.27. Neither knom. Council, and said, What do we? eth any Man the Father save the for this Man doth many Miracles. Son.- † Joh. 10. 15. As the Fa † Joh. 16. 16. A little while ther knoweth me, even so know I and ye shall not see me : and
10 gain, a little while and ye shall see Ver. 19. † Mar. 11. 18. The me, because I go to the Faa Scribes and chief Priefts heard it, ther. and fought how them might destroy a + Hof. 5. 6. They shall go him.Luk.19.47-The chief Priests, with their Flocks, and with their and the Scribes, and the chiefof the 1 s Herds to seek the Lord: but they People, sought to destroy him. Luk."'Mall not find him, he hath with20. 19. The chief Priests, and the drawn himself from them. † Joh. Scribes, the fame Hour sought to 8. 21. I go my way, and ye ihall lay Hands on him. + Joh. 8. 37. Ye Seek me, and shall die in your Sins. seek to kill because
Word Whither I go, ye cannot come. no place in you. † Ver. * Joh. 13. 33. Little Children, yet 19.
a little while I am with you. Ye u Ver. 44. Joh. 8.
shall seek me: and as I said unto P + Joh. 8.30.
the Jews, whither I go, ye cannot ..Joh: 20. 30. Many other Signs as come; fo now I lay unto you, truly did Jesus in the Presence of Rom 9. 31. Israel which followed his Disciples, which are not writ after the Law of Righteousness ten in this Book. Joh. 3. 2. Rab. hath not attained to the Law of bi, we know that thou art a Teach Righteousness. er come from God : for noMan can 30 Deut. 32.26. I said, I would do these Miracles that thou doft, ex fcatter them into Corners. cept God be with him. A&t. 2. + Ifa. 11. 12. He fhall set up an 21. Jesus of Nazareth, a Man ap- Ensign for the Nations, and shall afproved of God among you, by mi semble the Outcasts of Israel, and gaa tacles, and Wonders, and signs, which 35