Imágenes de páginas

Mr. HAWKINS. Yes, sir. And in our plans for a 4-room high school were a multipurpose room and one for shop and home economics. However, that has not been approved yet by the APW.

Mr. BARTLETT. Thank you very much.
Do we have anyone here to speak for Ugashik?
Mr. REAMEY. Yes.
Mr. BARTLETT. Identify yourself for the record.



Mr. REAMEY. I am Bert Reamey, Pilot Point, Alaska, representing the Bering Sea Fishermen's Union, subagent.

Mr. BARTLETT. Where is Pilot Point with reference to Ugashik?

Mr. REAMEY. Pilot Point and I gashik are on Ugashik Bay, separated 18 miles by water.

Mr. O'BRIEN, Ilow far did you come for this hearing today?
Mr. REAMEY. Approximately 100 miles.
Mr. O'BRIEN. And on crutches.
Mr. BARTLETT. Go ahead in your own way, Mr. Reamey.

Mr. REAMEY. This subject of fishing seems to be pretty well covered. There is a couple of things I would like to mention. One is transportation and the other comes under health and welfare, I would imagine.

Under transportation, I would like to mention that there is no two of these villages-Ugashik, Pilot Point, Egegik, Naknek, South Naknek, Kvichak-perhaps I am mistaken-Dillingham-that are connected by roads. They are all separated and have somewhat local roads but no connection between the villages.

Under the deal on fishing, since we had a poor fishing season, it was brought up by the community at Pilot Point that perhaps construction of roads would be a way out of our particular problem. A road between Bristol Bay and perhaps an all-year-round port on the Pacific, such as Kanatak, would give the military here means of getting in supplies other than by air and with resident preference hire in the bay area would give us work.

Mr. O'BRIEN. You would not want just to provide work, but you feel there is a need for those things. Even if fully employed here, the need would still exist?

Mr. REAMEY. Yes. And connecting roads between the villages. So I believe that covers that.

Under health and welfare. The health department, that is, the Alaska Department of Health, formerly had three floating clinics that visited remote areas in Bristol Bay and up and down the Bering Seas coast. Two of these clinics have been sold as surplus property, and I would suggest they take that money they get for them and buy new ones and start all over again because it is an excellent program. It brought dental care and X-ray care. Also, expectant mothers had a chance to be examined, which very seldom happened prior to their coming here.

Mr. O'BRIEN. Was there an explanation at the time as to why they were abandoned? Was it because of lack of funds?

Mr. REAMEY. I don't know,

[ocr errors][ocr errors][merged small]


[ocr errors][ocr errors][merged small]

Mr. O'Brien. There was no explanation received by you people here as to why?


Mr. BARTLETT. It is my inderstanding that the same type of activity is going to be undertaken by the use of airplanes.

Mr. REAMEY. I beg your pardon, Delegate Bartlett. I didn't understand that.

Mr. BARTLETT. I understand, although I am not sure they are going to substitute airplanes for the health boats they used to use. We will find out when we get to Juneau.

Mr. REA MEY. In connection with that, I would like to go on record as stating it would appear impractical to me. I am from Pilot Point, and I know a large enough airplane to carry X-ray units would have a difficult time landing.

Mr. BARTLETT. I think that is a matter we could very well ask Albrecht about in Juneau.

Mr. REAMEY. An X-ray unit and a dental unit takes a very good sized airplane, and that is what we really need. Those two things are first, I believe.

Mr. O'BRIEN. May I ask you this: If you have a mental case in this area, how is it handled?

Mr. REAMEY. It would be handled by the United States commissioner in the particular area. I imagine he would take a deposition

I a in the case, and it is handled through the law.

Mr. O'BRIEN. Would there be a doctor available to enter such a case or would it be the commissioner and a jury of six?

Mr. REAMEY. I don't like to be quoted because I am not too familiar with the law, but, as I understand it, such a person would without a doubt be taken to Anchorage and be examined by Dr. O'Malley at the Anchorage Hospital, and a jury would decide whether he goes to Morningside or back home.

Mr. O'Brien. You haven't had any jury trials in this particular area, have you?

Mr. WILLIAMS (of Egegik). I am Mr. Williams of Egegik. We had a case like that in Egegik, I think, in 1936 or 1937.

Mr. O'Brien. You are pretty sane people up here. You have to go Way back.

Mr. WILLIAMS. And at that time I was teaching in the Government school. I am not now. At that time I was teaching. They had a jury, no doctor or nothing, and sent the lady to Morningside. And she came back a couple of years later with papers saying she was sane and we had no papers to say we were sane. [Laughter.]

Mr. REA MEY. I guess that is all I have to talk about right now.
Mr. BARTLETT. How long have you lived at Pilot Point!
Mr. REAMEY. Since 1946.

Mr. BARTLETT. Do you agree with the previous witnesses regarding the fisheries problem?

Mr. REAMEY. I do; yes.
Mr. BARTLETT. Mrs. Pfost ?
Mrs. Prost. I have no questions.
Mr. BARTLETT. Mr. O'Brien, do you have any further questions?
Mr. O'BRIEN, No.
Mr. BARTLETT. Mr. Utt?

[ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][merged small]

Mr. Crt. No questions.
Mr. BARTLETT. Mr. McFarland?

Mr. BARTLETT. I wish when you return home you would convey to the people of Pilot Point the opinion of the acting chairman that you did a first-class job for them.

Mr. REAMEY. Thank you.
Mr. BARTLETT. Thank you very much.
Albert Ball.

Mr. Ball. I am from Dillingham too, Mr. Bartlett. I don't know how you got my name.

Mr. BARTLETT. It was written down. Do you care to testify or will you stand on the statements made by the previous witnesses?

Mr. Ball. I have no particular problem.

Mr. BARTLETT. Do you agree with the previous witnesses about the fisheries!

Mr. BALL. Yes; I do.
Mr. BARTLETT. Thank you very much.
Who is here from Egegik?

Mr. CLARK. I have signed a written statement and turned it over to the reporter.

Mr. BARTLETT. Will you identify yourself for the record?


Mr. CLARK. Edward M. Clark.

I would like to defer to Mr. Ostrosky because mine takes in a few people and his takes in the whole community of this area where you are now. His is very important and I would like to have you hear his testimony at this time.

Mr. BARTLETT. Identify yourself, your name and occupation.


Mr. OSTROSKY. Harold C. Ostrosky, fisherman.
Mr. BARTLETT. Do you have a written statement?

Mr. OSTROSKY. I have a written statement here that will elaborate on the situation that occurred here in 1954, and with your permission I would like to read it before the committee.

Mr. BARTLETT. Proceed.
Mr. O'Brien. Are you an independent fisherman?

Mr. OSTROSKY. Yes; and this elaborates on Mr. Emberg's statement concerning the monopolistic practices.

Mr. O'BRIEN, How long have you been engaged in fishing?
Mr. OSTROSKY. Since 1949.

In the spring of 195+ I purchased fishing equipment in order to fish independently in the Naknek-Kvichak area. I approached Mr. Steig Osman of the Intercoastal Packing Co. to buy my fish. He told me that he would not buy my fish without the authorization of Mr. Brindle, who, at the time was president of the Alaska salmon industry and who was also supervising the operation of all canneries involved in a consolidation pact for the 1954 season in the NaknekKvichak area.

It was


I also contacted Mr. Loring Daly, superintendent of the Bristol Bay Packing Co. and he gave me the same story as Mr. Osman. by then apparent to me that the man to see was Mr. Brindle, whom I did, and he refused to buy my fish under any circumstances. All the independent fishermen in Naknek ran up against the same difficulty with the superintendents of the various canneries and Mr. Brindle.

Approximately 3 days before fishing season, Gunnar Berggren, Alvin and Freida Aspelund, Larry Gilbert, and myself decided to go to Mr. Brindle as a committee in an endeavor to get Mr. Brindle to change his mind.

Mr. Brindle told us that it was illegal for him to talk to a committee of independent fishermen and that he could only talk to us individually and not collectively.

We told Mr. Brindle we were not there to discuss independent fish prices, but only to have him rescind the overall boycott against independent fishermen. He then told us that it was not in his power to do so and that he had no control over the other superintendents. This statement was contradicted by the statements of Mr. Osman and Mr. Daly, that only Mr. Brindle could sanction the purchase of independent fish by any of the companies involved in the consolidation pact.

Mr. Brindle also stated that it would be foolish for him to buy independent fish as he wanted to be able to control the fishing operation from start to finish and that he could not exercise complete control over independent fishermen as he could over company fishermen.

At this time I had practically all of my money invested in this independent fishing effort. There were many others in the same situation as I and we were getting desperate to obtain a market for our fish.

Through the efforts of Mr. Harry Shawback and Mr. Gunnar Berggren, Mr. Homer Kyros of Arctic Maid Fisheries agreed to buy our fish. The independent fishing fleet thus acquired by Mr. Kyros numbered approximately 70 boats. These boats ranged from 12-foot skiffs to 28-foot tired and worn-out converted sailboats. Compared to the cannery fleet manned by hired company fishermen, it looked like an Okie migration on the high seas.

Most of the fishermen were forced to attempt independent fishing in these nondescript boats with ragged fishing equipment because the canneries had curtailed their operation and refused to hire them as company fishermen, electing to ship in outside nonresident fishermen instead.

When the run of red salmon was at its peak, the independent fleet delivered approximately 35,000 red salmon to the Arctic Maid tally scow for delivery to the freezer ship. As fate would have it the freezer equipment aboard the Arctic Maid broke down and Mr. Kyros could not handle all the 35,000 fish. He managed to have processed approximately 13,000 fish and endeavored to dispose of the remaining 22,000 to any cannery in the Naknek-Kvichak and Egegik area who would take them. They all refused due to the boycott. As a result 22,000 fish were dumped into the ocean. This amounted to approximately 2,000 cases of salmon and, bear in mind, that this happened in a season when the total salmon pack was at a disastrous low.

We informed the Federal Trade Commission, through the Bristol Bay Fish Producers Association, of this situation and they agreed that there was a violation of the monopoly laws. We were later informed that they would not prosecute, but would adopt a “wait and see what happens next season" attitude.

The violation has been committed and I would like the members of the Alaska salmon industry in the Bristol Bay area who conspired in this violation cited and prosecuted for this violation of our country's monopoly laws, and respect fully request this committee to take this testimony into consideration and institute proper legal procedures to bring an end to 50 years of monopolistic rule by the canneries in Bristol Bay.

In February of 1952, I had an appointment with Mr. William Calvert of San Juan Fishing & Packing ('0. Arrangements were made with Mr. Calvert to move my fishing and salting operation from Naknek to Egegik and that he would buy my fish at the prevailing independent prices. These fish would be delivered to Egegik Packing Co., Egegik, Alaska, which was owned by San Juan Packing Co.

On the strength of the arrangement with Mr. Calvert, I hired fishermen and purchased fishing equipment for my proposed independent operation. In June of 1952, Mr. Steig Osman of San Juan Packing Co. called Mr. Calvert in Seattle to confirm our previous arrangements for Egegik. A wire was sent by Mr. Calvert confirming these arrangements. I moved my fishing operations from Naknek to Egegik and prepared to fish.

Two days before fishing season commenced, Mr. Hanover of Egecik Packing Co. told me that he would not buy my fish unless I moved my operation to a location that would suit him. The location that I had picked for my fishing operation was in what the canneries had considered their private drift fishing grounds for their company fishermen, so this pressure was put on me to keep me from fishing. The day before fishing started, I made arrangements with Mr. Rockness of Alaska Packers Association of Egegik to buy my fish. He stated that he would buy my fish only on the approval of Mr. John Wilkinson, general superintendent of APA, as all the canneries in Egegik were involved in a pact to keep any and all independent setnet fishermen off the beach from Coffe Point to Franks Creek.

With all these arrangements hanging in air, I could not give the fishermen I had planned to hire assurance that they would be able to fish, so they were forced to sign and fish for other canneries. On the afternoon of June 24, Mr. Wilkinson arrived for a conference with Mr. Rockness and myself and after the discussion, which brought out Mr. Hanover of Egegik Packing Co.'s refusal to buy my fish. They decided to violate the overall pact of not buying fish from this closed area and agreed to buy my independently caught fish. Before the close of the season, Mr. Hanover demanded and received from Mr. Rockness of Alaska Packers Association half of the fish which I had delivered to Alaska Packers Association as an indemnity against Alaska Packers for violating the closed area pact. There were numerous witnesses to testify to the fact that Alaska Packers were delivering half my fish to Egegik Packing Co. to sate Egegik Packing Co’s. demand for a penalty. These witnesses include Elmer Harrop,

« AnteriorContinuar »