Imágenes de páginas

the comforts of home and of substantial living, was starvation diet, and all the prisoners showed the effects of it.

After nearly a month of confinement in the Fort, Mr. Reed was discharged through the intercession of his friends whose frequent applications for his release, to the Secretary of War, Edwin M. Stanton, at last induced that official to issue an order for his discharge. At the same time, George P. Fisher, a Representative of the State of Delaware, but now on the bench of the Suprenie Court of the District of Columbia, together with the enrolling officer, John Green, and two other persons, addressed letters to Major Burton, imploring him to hold the prisoner at all hazards and upon their responsibility, until they could get the order for his release rescinded, assigning as a reason that the election was near at hand, and they deemed it absolutely necessary that he be detained, as his release would have a damaging effect. Major Burton paid no attention to their request, but released Mr. Reed, and for his temerity was, on the Monday following relieved of the command of the Fort, and not given another for fifteen months.

Mr. Reed arrived at home on Sunday morning, having been confined nearly a month, much to the detriment of his health. Being arrested to gratify the malice of his political enemies, and having been foiled in their attempt to keep liim incarcerated, it is not to be supposed that party vengeance would stop at one outrage.

Nor did it. In June, 1863, while at dinner, he was again made prisoner by a detachment of eight cavalrymen, cominanded by Sergeant Wilson, and acting under orders of Colonel Edwin Wilmer — since convicted of appropriating to his private purposes the moneys paid by drafted men for procuring substitutes, and sentenced to the Albany State l'enitentiary for ten years; but the sentence never having been carried into execution, he is now living in luxury in Wilmington, Delaware.

At the time of his second arrest, he, together with his family, was grossly 'nsulted. The officer in command of the squad remarked that, if he had his way, he would hang all such men, and several other remarks of a similar nature.

Mr. Reed was taken to the Fulton Station, and was compelled to walk by the side of the cavalrymen, until a friend kindly took him in his carriage. At the Station he was Julaced uuler guard until the train arrived, and was after. ward conveyed to Smyrna, the headquarters of Colonel Wilmer. At Smyrna he marched through the streets, which was very fatiguing, as the day was quite warm, and placed in a small dirty room, in the old Quaker church, which had not been used for years, and consequently contained its accumulation of filth. Here he spent the night, with nothing to lie upon, or anything necessary for his comfort, nor did he re. ceive any of the necessary articles until some friends kindly furnished them. He was refused the privilege of going out to attend the calls of nature during his confinement of eight weeks, his door being constantly guarded by a soldier with a drawn sabre.

At the expiration of the above-mentioned period, he was taken into the office of Colonel Wilmer, and questioned as to his political opinions, and was told that he could go home, as there was no charge against him; thus clearly proving that both were partisan arrests.

Mr. Reed still holds the office of Justice of the Peace, and is also Notary Public and Commissioner of Deeds. He is again in the mercantile business, with fair prospects of suc

Being a sober and steady young man, energetic in business and courteous in demeanor, he is held in high esti mation by his neighbors.



[ocr errors]

SRAEL BLANCHARD was born on the 4th day of June,

1825, near Mount Morris, Livingston County, New York. At the age of seventeen he commenced the study of medicine in his father's office, near Buffalo. He graduaterl and received the degree of M.D. from the Botanic Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio, in February, 1847. On his return from college he commenced the practice of medicine in Erie County, New York, in which he continued until the spring of 1850, when, in company with many others, he left his home with the intention of going to California, by the Texas overland route. Soon after arriving in Texas, he was taken violently ill with inflammatory rheumatism, which prevented him from travelling for the ensuing few months. Upon his recovery, (his companions having all left him,) he remained in Texas until 1852, when he left that State, and settled in the town of Carbondale, Jackson County, Illinois.

Here he resumed the practice of his profession, which he continued until the fall of 1860. At that time, owing to general debility, induced by the arduous labors of his profession, he removed to Murphysboro', the county seat of Jackson County, Illinois, and commenced the study of the law.

The following spring he was admitted to the bar, and has since continued to practise in that profession with ability and success. During the summer of 1861 the clamor of war resounded through the land. The city of Cairo was filled with Federal troops ; Big Muddy Bridge, on the Illinois Central Railroad, in Jackson County, was strongly guarded, and volunteers by the thousands were rushing forward to fill up the ranks of the Federal army. The 18th Regiment of Illinois Volunteers, known as the "infamous 18th," was then sta cioned at the town of Anna, on the Illinois Central Railroad. This regiment afterward became notorious for its robberies and murders of women and children.

In August, 1862, while riding in his buggy, in the streets of Carbondale, Illinois, he was met by five men, who presented cocked revolvers at his head, and commanded him to surrender. Considering discretion the better part of valor, he did so, and was taken into custody.

When the Captain of the squad who had thus unceremoniously arrested him, was asked by Blanchard to show his authority for the arrest, he pulled out his revolver, presented it at his head, and replied: There is my authority.Ile was then taken to Big Muddy Bridge and placed in the guardhouse, to await the Cairo train, which passed down at dark.

Immediately a despatch was sent to the Colonel of the 18th Regiment, stationed at Anna, twenty-five miles distant, stating that Blanchard was in custody, and would pass on the ten-o'clock down train.

When the train arrived at Big Muddy Bridge, Blanchard, with a guard of five men, was placed on it for Cairo. At ten o'clock the train arrived, and stopped at Anna. The 18th Regiment was drawn up in line on the platform of the depot. When the train stopped they gave three cheers for General Prentiss, and immediately afterward three groans for Dr. Blanchard.

The cry was then raised, " Take Blanchard out and hang him.Some of the soldiers attempted to enter the car, but were prevented by the conductor telling them that Blanchard was in the forward car. A rush was then made for the for. ward car, but not finding him there, they were returning to the rear car, when the train started. As the train moved off, the windows of the rear car were smashed in, but the guard presented bayonets, and thus prevented the soldiers from clambering in the windows until the cars were beyond their reach. The prisoner was then taken to Cairo ard handed over to General Prentiss, who, after exacting and receiving his parole of honor that he would not escapo,

[ocr errors]

allowed him the privilege of the city, and required him to report at his office every day, until witnesses could be sum moned against him.

Blanchard was kept at Cairo four days, when all the witLesses which had been summoned against him having appeared, an examination was had before General Prentiss.

The charges preferred were, that he had spoken disrespectfully of President Lincoln, discouraged enlistment, and attempted to raise a company to burn Big Muddy Bridge.

To the first charge he pleaded “guilty," but denied the others. Witnesses were examined who swore that his conversation had a tendency to discourage enlistments.

Whereupon General Prentiss sent him in charge of a lieutenant to the United States Marshal at Springfield, Illinois.

The Marshal refused to receive him, and returned him under guard to General Prentiss at Cairo. He was then immediately liberated by the General and sent home, where he remained, continuing the practice of the law until his second arrest.

In the latter part of July, 1863, while walking the streets of Murphysboro', he was accosted by a man in the uniform of a captain of volunteers, who inquired if his name was Blanchard. Being answered in the affirmative, the captain requested him to accompany him to the botel, which he did. Upon entering the bar-room of the hotel he was surrounded by five men, having muskets with fixed bayonets.

The captain then informed him that he had been ordered by the United States Marshal to arrest and convey him to Centralia on the next day; that it was a very unpleasant dity to perform, but he was bound to obey “orders.”

Upon signifying his readiness to accompanyathe officer he was allowed an hour in which to prepare for his departure.

At the expiration of that time, all being in readiness, he was taken in a carriage to Carbondale, and thence to De Soto, on a hand-car. Here the captain allowed him to remain on parole over night, to meet him at the train at six o'clock in the morning. He met the officer punctually and went

« AnteriorContinuar »