Imágenes de páginas

was very spirited. Out of the forlorn hope of 20 men, commanded by lieutenant Gibbon, whose business it was to remove the abattis, 17 were killed. For the brave, prudent, and soldier-like conduc displayed in this achievement, the congress presented general Wayne a gold medal emblematic of the action.

Iinmediately after the surreniler of Stoney Point, general Wayne transmitted to the commander in chief, the following laconic letter: Stoney Point, July 16, 1779.

“2 o'clock, A. M. “ Dear General—The fort and garrison, with colonel Johnson, are ours; our officers and men behaved like men determined to be free. - “Yours most sincerely,


In the campaign of 1781, in which lord Corrwallis, and a British army were obliged to surrender prisoners of war, he bore a conspicuous part. His presence of mind never failed him in the most critical situations. Of this he gave an eminent example on the James River. Having been deceived by some false information, into a belief that the British army had passed the river, leaving but the rear guard behind, he hastened to attack the latter: before it should also have effected its passage; but on pushing through a morass and wood, instead of the rear guard, he found the whole British army drawn up close to him. His situation did not admit of a moment's deliberation. Conceiving the boldest to be the safest measure, he immediately led his small detachment, not exceeding 800 men, to the charge, and after a short, but very smart and close firing, in which he lost 118 of his men, he succeeded in bringing off the rest under cover of the wood. Lord Cornwallis, suspecting the at

tack to be a feint, in order to draw him into an ambuscade, would not permit his troops to pursue.

The enemy having made a considerable head in Georgia, Wayne was dispatched by general Washington to take command of the forces in that state, and, after some sanguinary engagements, succeeded in establishing security and order. For his services in that state the legislature presented him with a valuable farm.

On the peace, which followed shortly after, he retired to private life; but in 1789, we find him a member of the Pennsylvania convention, and one of those in favour of the present federal constitution of the United States.

In the year 1792, he was appointed to succeed general St. Clair, who had resigned the command of the army engaged against the Indians, on our western frontier. - Wayne formed an encampment at Pittsburgh, and such exemplary discipline was introduced among the new troops, that, on their advance into the Indian country, they appeared like veterans.

The Indians bad collected in great numbers, and it was necessary not only to rout them, but to occupy their country by a chain of posts, that should, for the future, check their predatory incursions. Pursuing this regular and systematic mode of advance, the autumn of 1793, found general Wayne with his army, at a post in the wilderness, called Greensville, about six miles in advance of fort Jefferson, where he determined to encamp for the winter, in order to make the necessary arrangements for opening the campaign to effect early in the following spring. After fortifying his camp, he took possession of the ground on which the Americans had been defeated in 1791, which he fortified also, and called the work fort Recovery. Here he piously collected, and, with the honours of war, interred the bones of the unfortuuate al

though gallant victims of the 4th November, 1791. This situation of the army, menacing the Indian villages, effectually prevented any attack on the white settlements. The impossibility of procuring the necessary supplies, prevented the march of the troops till the summer. On the 8th of August, the army arrived at the junction of the rivers Au Glaize and Miami of the Lakes, where they erected works for the protection of the stores. About thirty miles from this place, the British had formed a post, in the vicinity of which the Indians had assembled their whole force. On the 15th the army again advanced down the Miami, and on the 18th arrived at the Rapids. On the following day they erected some works, for the protection of the baggage. The situation of the enemy was reconnoitcred, and they were found posted in a thick wood, in the rear of the British fort. On the 20th the army advanced to the attack. The Miami covered the right flank, and on the left were the mounted volunteers, commanded by general Tond. After marching about five miles, major Price, who led the advance, received so heavy a fise from the Indians, who were stationed behind trees, that he was compelled to fall back. The enemy had occupied a wood in front of the Britisha fort, which, from the quantity of fallen timber, could not be entered by the horse. The legion was immediately ordered to advance with trailed arms, and rouse them from their covert; the cavalry under captain Campbell, were directed to pass betu een the Indians and the river, while the volunteors, led by general Scott, made a circuit to turn their flank. So rapid, however, was the charge of the legion, that before the rest of the army could get into action, the enemy were completely routed, and driven through the woods for more than two miles, and the troops halted within gun-shot of the British fort. All the Indians' houses and corn

fields were destroyed. In this decisive action, the whole loss of general Wayne's army, in killed and wounded, amounted only to one hundred and seven men. As hostilities continued on the part of the Indians, their whole country was laid waste, and forts established, which effectually prevented their return.

The success of this engagement destroyed the enemies' power; and, in the following year, general Wayne concluded a definitive treaty of peace with them.

A life of peril and glory was terminated in December, 1796. · He had shielded his country from the murderous tomahawk of the savage. He had established her boundaries. He had forced her enemies to sue for her protection. He beheld her triumphant, rich in arts, and potent in arms. What more could his patriotic spirit wish to see? He died in a hut at Presque Isle, aged about fifty-one years, and was buried on the shore of Lake Erie.

A few years since his bones were taken up by his son, Isaac Wayne, Esq. and entombed in his native county; and by direction of the Pennsylvania State Society of the Cincinnati, an elegant monument was erected. It is to be seen within the cemetry of St. David's church, situated in Ches-ter county. It is constructed of white marble, of the most correct symmetry and beauty.

The South front exhibits the following inscription:

In honour of the distinguished

Military services of

Major General
And as an affectionate tribute

of respect to his memory,
This stone was erected, by his


July 4th, A. D. 1809,
Thirty fourth anniversary of

The Independence of
An event which constitutes

the most
Appropriate eulogium of an American

SOLDIER AND PATRIOT. The north front exhibits the following inscrip- : tion:

Major General.
Was born at Waynesborough,

in Chester county,
State of Pennsylvania,

A. D. 1745.
After a life of honour and usefulness,
He died in December, 1796,

at a military post
On the shore of Lake Erie,
Commander in chief of the army of

His military achievements

* are consecrated
In the history of his country,

.. . and in
The hearts of his countrymen.

His remains

Are here deposited. YATES, ROBERT, was born on the 27th day of January, 1738, in the city of Schenectady, in the state of New York. At the age of sixteen he was sent by his parents to the city of New York, where he received a classical education, and afterwards studied the law with William Livingston, Esq. a celebrated barrister in that metropolis. On the completion of his studies, he was admitted to the bar, and soon after fixed his residence in the city

« AnteriorContinuar »